• Caboose classes

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by chnaus

I have a chart titled Standard Equipment For Cabooses.
It lists CE-1 / CE-2 in one column and the other column
is titled "Other".
What was the difference from CE-1 to CE-2 and what
cabooses would be in the "other" class.

by SRS125

There is a web page on Conrail Cabooses that brakes down each class of caboose taken into Conrail in 1976 that may have infor on the rest of the fallen flags as well.

by scrag104

SRS125...would you please post where the web page is.

Thanks.

by SRS125

this is the link sorry for not posting it sooner had to refind it again seems like someone deleted a few of my book marks.

http://crcaboose.railfan.net/

by Aji-tater

That is a great site, I already have it bookmarked from before and it has come in handy several times. But I think what Chnaus was looking for was NYC classes, not Conrail. I have seen a few references to the CE-1 as Chnaus mentions, but NYC did not, as far as I know, make a big thing about labeling a class on each one such as the B&O did (I-5, I-12, etc). Hopefully someone will have the answer.

by SRS125

You know there was a small thing in one of the Model Rail Craftsmen back this past summer on the Wooden Cabooses that the NYC built in Oswego, NY I'll have to see if I can find it.

by NYCJIM

Hi guys,
If I'm not mistaken, the NYC didn't put any "classes" to there cabooses. That all happened during Penn Central mainly because of the PRR classes which lasted into the Conrail era.
JimSlater

by Otto Vondrak

NYC Caboose Classes:

"That Wooden One There with the Offset Cupola."

"That Wooden One There with the Center Cupola."

"That Wooden One There with no Cupola."

"That Steel One There with the Bay Window."

"That Steel One There That Looks Like a Shortened Boxcar."

Did I miss any? :-)

-otto-

by Newyorkcentralfan

My 'Cabooses of the New Haven and New York Central Railroads" lists

Standard narrow cupola 3 window 19000 series

Short narrow standard cupola two window 18000 series

Converted boxcar wood cupola 20100-20149 series

Pacemaker plywood cupola caboose 20112, 20117, 20129, 20132 and 20133 series

Steel bay window 20203-97 series B&A 1300-4 series

Steel transfer caboose

I have pictures of a NYC bobber 2 axle cupola that I pulled off the net. One numbered 3677 NYC&HR and two sperate pictures of one lettered LS&MS w/nyc lines herald C331.

I've seen pictures of the following.

Some three window with slightly off center cupola with sloping sides. in the 188XX series.

Some four window with flush side tall cupolas numbered in the 17000 series some with all four windows on the long end and some with three one the long and and one on the short end.

Some with a center cupola slightly wider than the carbody with either plywood or steel sides numbered in 173XX series. Some with four windows and some with three.

A cupola-less caboose with two windows and murphy ends with a large rectangle hole cut into it.

Otto Vondrak wrote:NYC Caboose Classes:

"That Wooden One There with the Offset Cupola."

"That Wooden One There with the Center Cupola."

"That Wooden One There with no Cupola."

"That Steel One There with the Bay Window."

"That Steel One There That Looks Like a Shortened Boxcar."

Did I miss any? :-)

-otto-

by NYC27

NYC used Lot #s instead of a class system for all of its cars including cabooses. See Terry Link's Canada Southern pages for more info.

NYC Caboose Reference

by caboose9

The only railroad I can think of, off hand, that had Class CE-1 & CE-2 for cabooses was the Santa Fe. Obviously, there could be others.

Where did the chart come from?

Roger