Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by cpontani

Those Metra gallery cars are nothing like you've ever seen on the East Coast...well unless you head down to VRE, where they have some they've picked up from Metra. There's a center aisle on the lower level, and the upper level is single seating, and open to below. You pass your tickets down the to conductor as he passes. Since I love the upper level in multi-levels, and usually travel by myself, those singles on the upper level of the gallery cars are perfect for me!
  by LIRailfan79

isn't that what the double-deckers on the LIRR from the 40's and 50's were like?
  by cpontani

Not quite. The old LIRR cars you stepped up or down off that center aisle. The Metra gallery cars, you enter through the center door and go up stairs on the motorman's side and fireman's side to individual aisles upstairs.

They say a picture is worth 1000 words, so check out this link: http://narail.awardspace.com/metra.html Scroll down a bit and you'll get a good ideal of the setup.
  by BobLI

Are those lower level seats the old style fold over (flip flop) style? They sure do look like it.
  by cpontani

Since many are from the 1950's and 1960's, I wouldn't be surprised. I last rode them a couple of years ago, and can't say with certainity if they did or did not have the flips.
  by keyboardkat

LIRailfan79 wrote:isn't that what the double-deckers on the LIRR from the 40's and 50's were like?
The MP70 double deck MU cars, based on the PRR balloon roofed P70, were not really true double deckers. There was a raised center aisle (after entering the car's vestibule, you turned into the car and walked up a short ramp), and the seating arrangement was staggered. You either stepped down into a lower level seat, or you had to step up into the higher level seats. The seats themselves were 2-2, in facing pairs (like a 4-person luncheonette booth without the table). So you'd step down really to enter a 4-person section, or step up to an upper 4-person section. There were parcel racks between the upper level seat backs.

The whole arrangement was an attempt to utilize the wasted space in a standard coach between the passengers' heads and the ceiling. These cars had improved springs and trucks and offered a much smoother ride than the MP54 type cars. I was sorry to see them go.
  by newkirk

Oh, and for those of you who don't know where the bathroom was in the C1, it is located at the F (west end) of the car between the front door on the south side only in the odd numbered end of the pair, and the conductors cabin where as the C3 is where we all know at the rear end on the south side on the odd numbered car.

One thing about the restrooms in the C-1's I noticed was the placement of the mirror on the wall behind the toilet. So if you're a male standing and relieving yourself you are in full view of your self.

I found that rather unnerving.
  by hammerfang

newkirk wrote:Oh, and for those of you who don't know where the bathroom was in the C1, it is located at the F (west end) of the car between the front door on the south side only in the odd numbered end of the pair, and the conductors cabin where as the C3 is where we all know at the rear end on the south side on the odd numbered car.

One thing about the restrooms in the C-1's I noticed was the placement of the mirror on the wall behind the toilet. So if you're a male standing and relieving yourself you are in full view of your self.

I found that rather unnerving.
Are you a little embarrassed about something?
  by LIRR272

Is there a C1 coach up in the receiving yard or the new servicing area? Last ninght I saw a bi-level coach with the diaphragm similar to the M3's and I know the C1 had those. The C3 coaches have a complet round diaphragm.
  by REM3Night

BobLI wrote:Are those lower level seats the old style fold over (flip flop) style? They sure do look like it.
The photo of the lower level with the gray seats has one on the left side that is facing the seat behind it.
  by SwingMan

LIRR272 wrote:Is there a C1 coach up in the receiving yard or the new servicing area? Last ninght I saw a bi-level coach with the diaphragm similar to the M3's and I know the C1 had those. The C3 coaches have a complet round diaphragm.

Some of the current C3s have them/are getting them, on both cabcars and trailers.
  by M1 9147

I think all of the C3's are going to eventually have the squared type diaphragms! I wouldn't be surprised if it is to simplify costs in having uniform diaphragms in all type of equipment! I know Metro North has the same diaphragms in all of their equipment as well!
  by oknazevad

M1 9147 wrote:I think all of the C3's are going to eventually have the squared type diaphragms! I wouldn't be surprised if it is to simplify costs in having uniform diaphragms in all type of equipment! I know Metro North has the same diaphragms in all of their equipment as well!
Um, do you really need an exclamation mark after every sentence?
  by tun

Can someone post a picture of what you guys are referring to when you talk about the diaphragm of the C3?
  by M1 9147

I have no problem in showing you the differences! Here is a recent shot of 5020 with the original diaphragm still in place:

And another of 5009 sporting the newer diaphragm:

Personally, the originals look better on them than the new ones!