• C-420's on the Bay Ridge and Bushwick branches

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Legio X

Were 222-229 used on the Bay Ridge and Bushwick branches by the LIRR, or were those lines the exclusive domain of the SW-1001's and MP-15ac's?

by Scrap em All

Lirr used almost everything they had down there exept 38's . They used all their crap, Baldwins, Alco RS1-3's, 420's, PN GP7-9's, 1001's, and MP15's.

by Legio X

I thought that New Haven, then Penn Central, then Conrail served the local customers on the Bay Ridge Branch until the early '80's, then the LIRR assumed ownership of the branch, so when would the LIRR's Baldwin switchers, Alco switchers, and Alco RS-1's, -2's and -3's have been used?
  by BMT

???? New Haven/Penn Central gave up the Bay Ridge BACK to LIRR control sometime in the early 70's, IIRC. The Bay Ridge was always a LIRR property just jurisdication of the line changed hands a number of times during various years.

by Scrap em All

The Bayridge branch is about 300 years old still with ALL ORIGINAL rail and ties!!! Everything built from 1704 and on has ran on it.
What I meant was from the begining on the LIRR diesel era to the present. I seen pictures of everything down there exept FM C Liners and GP38's pre NYA of course.

by emfinite

Here's a picture I found on Google's Image Search of a GP38-2 heading north on the Bay Ridge line past Fremont:

by jayrmli

The Bay Ridge was not always LIRR property. The branch was part of the Pennsylvania Railroad. LIRR, once owned by the Pennsy, serviced the line. When New York State bought the LIRR from the Pennsy in the mid-60's, the Bay Ridge line was not part of the sale. The LIRR bought the line in the early 80's, at a time when they were looking to expand the freight business.

Jay

by M1 9147

Joe, I'd like to know where you got that photo from. Nice shot whoever did that, and 272 looking good on a head of a freight.
  by dukeoq

Joe, that is a nice picture, but rather than saying that it is heading north, it should be said that it is heading toward the wye and toward Pond.

Jay!!!!
You say that the bay Ridge branch was not always the property of the LIRR???
You are right, but it was not owned by the PRR until that road took over the stock of the LIRR in the early 1900s.
Austin Corbin was the driving force behind the New York and Manhattan Beach RR and when he became president of the LIRR, he merged his NY&MB into the LIRR.
In the 1960s, when the MTA was formed, the state of New York bought the LIRR but did not want the Bay Ridge branch.
This left it in the ownership of the PRR, PC and finally CR.
I don’t know the particulars, but in the mid ‘80s it fell back to MTA & LIRR ownership.
JJ Earl

by Howiew

[quote="Legio X"]I thought that New Haven, then Penn Central, then Conrail served the local customers on the Bay Ridge Branch until the early '80's, then the LIRR assumed ownership of the branch.
The New Haven had trackage rights only on the branch. They could not serve any local customers on the branch. Any cars for customers were delivered to the LIRR at Fremont and picked up there. The same apply when the branch came under LIRR's ownership.

by Legio X

If there are any pictures of C420's 222-229 in action on the Bay Ridge Branch, I hope they make them into the updated edition of "Diesels of the Sunrise Trail" that J.J. Scala is supposed to have in the works for sometime in 2005.
  by Noel Weaver

The New Haven had trackage rights over the Bay Ridge Branch for through freight interchange to the PRR via Bay Ridge/Greenville.
After the State of New York purchased the Long Island Rail Road from the
PRR, the Bay Ridge Branch was not included but the LIRR continued to
operate the line including the yard at Bay Ridge.
Soon after the Penn Central took over the New Haven (this occurred on
Jan. 1, 1969), the Penn Central took over the remaining local business as
well as the office at New Lots and the tower at Fremont.
At that time, there were I believe three jobs established to handle the Bay
Ridge Branch local work as well as the LIRR freight interchange. This was
soon reduced to two jobs, a day job went over with cars for the Bay Ridge
Branch and did all of the siding work from Fremont to 8th Avenue, Bay
Ridge. There was no work beyond that point at the time. The night job
brough the interchange cars from Selkirk over the bridge for Fremont and
brought the cars going off the LIRR back to Oak Point. Occasionally, this
job would make two trips but it rarely if ever went past Fremont.
Noel Weaver