• Busy Sunday At Little ferry, 7/17

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by rcbsd45

Today provided quite a bit of "entertainment" down on the eastern end of the railroad. First off Q271, with CSXT 4756 and CSXT 328 came into the yard. the WS-1 crew then took the train to Cross St, Bogota and were drilling the trash freight out so as to add it to the train. In the process, a rail broke underneath the cars at the MC-1/MC-2 switch with the result of 4 cars on their sides, and another car listing pretty bad. these were all loaded with construction debris, and are all high sided wood chip cars, so you can imagine the mess that resulted. Once the dust settled from that, it was determined that the cars are clear of the main track so the railroad can still operate.
The WS-1 crew then took the 1802, tied on to the rear of the 271's auto racks, and pulled the train to Mt vernon, cut the 271 power off, and then proceeded to drill the freight as earlier, except from the east end of the MC tracks, placing them ahead of the 271's auto racks. At this time Q404 was sitting on the CSX main waiting to pull north of CP-5 and shove his train off. Also at this time, the Q403 was approaching yard limits. So here's waht they did: they pulled the WS-1 east, cut the outbound freight from the auto racks north of the signal and switch at Bergen Turnpike, and pulled the autos east on their main. The 404, which BTW has a PAIR of Wisconsin Central SD45's( #s 6579 and 6594)then pulled north of CP-5 and proceeded to back into the NYS&W and couple to the auto racks. they then shovbed the combine train in the clear of the Sea-Land lead switch, cut the WC power off, and then placed it on the SL lead and lined the switch back for the main.
The WS-1 engineer, on board the Q271 power, which was coupled to the outbound trash cars and north of CP-5, then got the signal, and shoved over Bergen Turnpike with what looked like abouit 25-35 trash cars, and added them ahead of the 404 freight and the 271 racks, making for a pretty impressive train. At this time the 403 showed up, set off two CSX units (I didn't get the #'s) and two cars to MC-3 while the WS-1 shoved east. While shoving east(the plan was to shove the 271/404 combo east of 69th St) the WS-1 ran out of time, and the move was to be completed by the WS-4. The CSX crew, that brough the 4094 up was to eventually get the 403 and take it out to CSX at the hand switches at the east end of the Sea-Land yard.
If all goes as plan, the combined train should have as power: CSXT 4756, CSXT 328, WC 6579, WC 6594, and Possibly the NYSW 3012 and NYSW 3016, which have been parked on the fuel track for the weekend. Not sure why the 403 Set off two CSX units at Mt Vernon street, but maybe they will be added to the westbound as well. As i understand it, the combined trains should be leaving anytime after 8 PM, but cannot confirm this. And Oh yea, the 118 is about to hit the yard from the north, and the 161 should be coming up from Kearny for his pick up in a bit. All in all, a pretty busy day for the Susie-Q. Stay tunjed for reports on the westbound....If I can't post it for some reason, hopefully someone else can, but I'll try....

by n01jd1

by rcbsd45

Good Pics, John. As an aside, here is a pic of the Wisconsin Central SD45's that went west on Sunday nights train.

http://rcbsd45.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... ?id=156354

by n01jd1

rcbsd45 wrote:Good Pics, John. As an aside, here is a pic of the Wisconsin Central SD45's that went west on Sunday nights train.

http://rcbsd45.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... ?id=156354
Nice. I just sent the roll of slides with my pics of the WC units on Q-433 out for processing. I will have to see how good they come out to see if I will make a print of it to post.