• Bullet train technology

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by CLamb

Interesting watching the coupling. Does Japan not require brake testing after coupling like in the USA? If not, is this because of the coupler technology or different safety standards.

I'm curious as to why there is what looks like a pocket watch set into the operators console.
  by philipmartin

CLamb wrote:Interesting watching the coupling. Does Japan not require brake testing after coupling like in the USA? If not, is this because of the coupler technology or different safety standards.

I'm curious as to why there is what looks like a pocket watch set into the operators console.
I don't know but didn't notice any brake hoses or car inspectors. That pocket watch is high technology.
I like those white gloves the drivers wear. I wonder if John wears white gloves when firing steam trains? :wink:
Last edited by philipmartin on Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by johnthefireman

I don't know how brake tests work with couplings where the air pipes and electrics are all integral to the coupler. Maybe there are electronic sensors incorporated into it which monitor the brakes, a bit like the telemetry devices found at the back of modern South African trains?

As for my firing gloves, well they were quite white-ish when they were first bought. First trip on the footplate, they tuned black. Although wearing gloves while actually firing is looked down upon; you're supposed to move fast enough and skilfully enough that your hands don't burn, and handling the shovel without gloves certainly gives you a better feel for it. One old driver likened it to wearing a condom. We put the gloves on for other non-firing tasks, like certain cleaning and maintenance jobs where we're likely to touch hot things. I've noticed US steam drivers wearing gloves, hard hats and steel toecap boots. The steel toecap boots are the only compulsory safety item on a South African footplate. I once had to fire wearing shorts. I was not rostered for any duty and had only turned up to wave good-bye to the train, when the rostered fireman had to withdraw suddenly and since I was the only other fireman around I was press-ganged into service. Fortunately I had my navvy boots on, but on that trip I really learned why the fireman has to literally dance in front of the firehole. Never again!

When I was learning to fire there were still some of the old inspectors who would know which parts of the footplate it was easy for the fireman to overlook when cleaning. The inspector would casually rest his hand on some obscure part of the footplate and then you would get a bollocking from him if he found any dirt on his hand. There are tales of old drivers who used to wear white shirts and even white jackets, and woe betide the poor fireman if there were any dirty marks on the driver's clothes at the end of the shift.
  by philipmartin

That's a very interesting post, John, giving us an insight into what it is like, firing. I didn't know that the footplate had to spick and span.
As for brake tests, I have an idea that a man on the hind end asks the driver for a test, the driver applies the brakes and the man on the hind end sees if they are applied. That's my amateurish idea. Telemetry devices have replaced the caboose on the end of freight trains in North America.
  by johnthefireman

On a vacuum-braked South African train there are two tests, the brake test and the test for continuous vacuum.

For the brake test, the guard measures the vacuum pressure at the rear of the train using a portable gauge (or if there is a brake van, the gauge inside the brake van). It has to be a minimum 51 kPa.

For the test for continuous vacuum, with vacuum created the guard checks that the brake shoes on the wheels of the rear vehicle have released. He then pulls the vacuum hose off the dummy to destroy vacuum, and confirms that the brake shoes apply. When they are fully applied, and when the driver has confirmed that the vacuum has been destroyed, the guard replaces the hose on the dummy and confirms that the brake shoes release again.

There's a form you have to sign to confirm that you have done the brake test, which is then countersigned by the driver and kept with the other train documents. The brake test has to be repeated whenever the consist of the train changes.

On trains fitted with telemetry (this might only be air-braked trains - I can't remember as I didn't study or qualify on air brakes and have never worked an air-braked train) there is a gadget connected to the hose at the rear or the train which has a radio link with the cab of the locomotive and which shows the pressure at the rear and presumably does something if there is a fault.