• Bulawayo steam shed 2005

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by philipmartin

RR - Rhodesian Railways? Vacuum brakes here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v8IzxoQphQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkN9V52QJiY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Top photo: Garratt No 417 at Thomson Junction, Zimbabwe, with a freight from Victoria Falls .

Middle photo: Garratt No 406 Ikolo (Hornbill) with a passenger train at Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe. (At left: Zambia Railways 12th class 4-8-2 No 204, with a Victoria Falls Safari Express train.)

Bottom photo: Rhodesia Railways Class 15A no. 398 Location: Beaconsfield, Kimberley, South Africa
  by george matthews

The former Rhodesian system is in a terrible state after years of neglect and failure to renew the trains.

(I have travelled on the trains several times in the 1970s).
  by philipmartin

george matthews wrote:
(I have travelled on the trains several times in the 1970s).
That's great. Did you take any pictures?
I just like this video. It reminds me of myself as a teenager, investigating engine terminals. Too bad to see the out of service equipment.
  by johnthefireman

I've probably told this story before. In 2000 I was standing on the platform at Bulawayo taking photos of the Garratts which were shunting, when a uniformed official came up to me and asked, "Why are you standing here taking photos?" I was expecting to be chased away, but he continued, "You'll get much better photos if you walk across the tracks there!" So I did. Then a passing engine driver beckoned me up on to the footplate, and I spent about a hour there. At some point I asked him where we were actually going, and he told me not to worry, we were only going round the balloon by the engine shed. All in all a great day.

I think those photos are in an album somewhere. One day maybe I'll get round to scanning them.
  by philipmartin

johnthefireman wrote: I think those photos are in an album somewhere. One day maybe I'll get round to scanning them.
It's a good story!