• Budweiser Dist. spur of Grand Junction (early 60's)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by MikeB

After being forced out of the west end, my father relocated to east cambridge. He tells a tale of a Budweiser distribution warehouse that got boxcars full of beer which local teens would often steal during the unions timely breaks. His memories of the railroad in that area are foggy at best and he's no railfan. He believed the spur went as far as sixth street but is not certain. Does anybody know anything about this operation? This would most likely be late 50's or early 60's. Anything else about that area would interest me as well.
-Mike

by CSX Conductor

There used to big a very large yard off the Grand Jct. I remember finding a diamond somewhere close to the lead that goes from the Grand Jct. towards the old NECCO factory.

by Ron Newman

This 1916 map shows three sidings running east from the Grand Junction into East Cambridge, to Fifth Street or beyond. One ran down Rogers Street, another down Munroe Street, a third down Potter Street.

If you are on dialup, you may want to look at the smaller map image instead.

Here's the next section of the map, to the east of the one above. You'll see that the Rogers Street siding ends at Third Street; the Potter Street siding ends just before Third Street; the Munroe Street siding divides into three branches, one of which almost reaches Commercial Avenue.

gj

by MikeB

Ron, Those maps are great, those would have gone well with that book about East Cambridge that came out recently. Decent book but I was a little disapointed with the lack of a good amount of the railroad history. CSX, i believe I know the diamond you speak of. the last time I was there was about a year ago and there were two diamonds about 10 feet apart from each other.