• BSS Car 680

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by RDG-LNE

This morning, I had the joy of riding in BSS car 680. This car uses a female voice to tell the passengers that the doors are closing and what the next station will be and the connecting bus routes. I know cars 508 and 510 (I think) says "Doors Closing" but no announcements. Are there any others in the fleet with this new addition?

Drew

PS - 680 was leading south when I rode it at about 8.10 out of City Hall

by Mendayen

I rode an afternoon from Fern Rock train that had the automated announcement system a few month ago. Only had the "Doors Closing" announcement at that time... although it was more like "-oors Closing." As far as I could tell, there was only 1, maybe 2 trains (cars? I suppose if one car has it, then all connected do) that had it operating.

Nice to hear that they're adding in next stop and connecting route announcements though. Hopefully, they'll keep it updated so when they have to detour trains (e.g. last Saturday when northbound local trains skipped C. B. Moore, Susquehanna, and Allegheny), people will be less confused.

by jfrey40535

Not to mention you can hardly understand the operator on the PA anyway. I can't say I'll welcome hearing a computer talk the entire ride on the sub, but it's an improvement on what's there now.

by MACTRAXX

I have noticed it myself this week on one of my BSL rides this week. I do not recall which car - but the BSL automated announcer sounds like a refined or sophisticated black woman to me but the MFSE by comparison sounds like a slightly uptight white woman. Just my opinion...MACTRAXX

by Tadman

Trust me, the CTA has this system, and it's a blessing. It's definitely nothing JG Brill or St. Louis Car would have thought of, but it's really a step forward. The PA systems become messed up over the years, and the operators don't always speak so clearly - for those that don't know the trains as well, such as tourists, irregular riders, sleepers, etc... the computer voice can be a help.

by jfrey40535

Is this being done as a ADA requirement? Anyone know the pricetag?

by JeffK

Yeah, but the computerized systems can become equally messed up. I've been on several MFL trains where the stop announcements were out of sync by a couple of stations, causing all sorts of confusion. There were even a few trips where the stops were intended for a train going the opposite direction - does anyone know if the operator has to select which set of announcements is broadcast?

And since the computerized system is recorded by some faceless agency that isn't necessarily familiar with local names, pronunciation can be a groaner. For the first couple of years the station between Upper Darby and 63rd St. was announced as "Mail Barn" :-D

by jfrey40535

I believe the operator can reset the annunciation system, so that it "catches up" with where the train is actually at. But in most cases, I don't think they're even aware that the system is out of whack since they are isolated in the cab.

When 56th Street was closed, most Eastbound trains were messed up with the announcements until supervision cracked down on it.

by RDG-LNE

Car 680 is the only one I've run across so far with the automated announement system. I rode it again last night from Oregon Avenue into CC. I did get a look at the "device" used, it is similiar to the box used on the busses. Cars 508 and 510 have the "..oors closing" announcement but no automated announcer, both cars were in the train I caught home this morning. I haven't been in a train with 680 yet, it's always in a lead position so I have no idea how the PA works in the trailing cars.

Drew

by MACTRAXX

..Then I rode in car 680 last week...I wonder if this is a test car as mentioned? MACTRAXX

by octr202

RDG-LNE wrote:Car 680 is the only one I've run across so far with the automated announement system. I rode it again last night from Oregon Avenue into CC. I did get a look at the "device" used, it is similiar to the box used on the busses. Cars 508 and 510 have the "..oors closing" announcement but no automated announcer, both cars were in the train I caught home this morning. I haven't been in a train with 680 yet, it's always in a lead position so I have no idea how the PA works in the trailing cars.

Drew
I would assume it would depend on whether car 680 is the one set up to be controlling the PA...aren't the PAs trainlined?

The BSL being the only line I never rode in Philly, I don't know this...do the cars have external PA speakers? When you're around cars like the cars I ride up this way, you can tell when the ASA makes announcements while the train is in a station that all the cars' PAs are trainlined.

by wagz

I was on BSS car 678 tonight (3rd car in the train) and it was making all the new announcements. From what I could tell the announcements were broadcast along the entire train.

The only problems were the a severely garbled sounding "...oorsClosing", and that connecting routes are announced as the train is arriving at said station. At City Hall there are obviosuly a good dozen or so routes/attractions, so the thing was still rambling off what was at the various Exits long after the doors were already open.