Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Love Train

I'm going to New York this weekend for a quick vacation and I want to walk across either the Manhattan or Brooklyn Bridges Sunday morning. The question is which one should I do? In other words, which one is a better walk? Why? And which direction should I walk it (towards Brooklyn or towards Manhattan)? And the on topic part of this post: How good is the view of the subway trains from the Manhattan Bridge?

by islandtransit

Well, the Brooklyn Bridge would certainly be the more historical walk. However, be very careful on the Brooklyn side. The corner of Tillary and Adams is absolutely one of the most dangerous intersections for pedestrians in the city.

Walking along the Manhattan Bridge though, you'll definately see plenty of subways crossing....unless the pedestrian walkway is on the upper level. I know the bike path is alongside the subway level though

by pennsy

Hi,

Why limit yourself to those bridges ? I have walked across the Williamsburg Bridge, and it is safe, a pleasant walk, very scenic. Pretty high up, and you have subways passing you by. When you finally reach Delancey St. on the Manhattan side, you have all those Delis to choose a really nice lunch or dinner from. And if you need to go shopping, how about Orchard St. from Delancey st. You can do your "bargaining" there.

by Love Train

I haven't ruled out the Willy B. It just seems like the ugliest bridge of the three. How are the views of the city from the Willy B?

by L'mont

Do the Brooklyn for sure. It's a great walk, excellent views of the harbor and lower manhattan. You won't have the subway rumbling along and you're above the road so it's a little bit more peaceful.

When you get to the other side, don't go to Tillary St. Just walk down the first set of stairs and get south to Henry St. You'll find a nice area to walk and get something to eat in Brooklyn Heights.

I did this walk last year and it was GREAT. Enjoy!

by Love Train

Thanks guys for your opinions. I'm gonna do the Brooklyn. I'd be on a bit of a time budget Sunday morning since I'm going to the Yankees game later that day. The Brooklyn Bridge entrances are right next to the subway stations.

by islandtransit

Isn't the Henry St entrance a bit shadey though? My mom got held up once there. From what I remember, you come down the stairs and can't see around the corner until you get out of the "stairwell"

by pennsy

Hi,

Outstanding views from the Williamsburg Bridge. I have been to parties that were held on the bridge, Manhattan side, near Delancey st. that were outstanding. Even had music and dancing.

Tilliary st. and Brooklyn Heights are worth visiting. I used to wander through those streets in between classes at Brooklyn Polytech. Great restaruannts, but pricey. View of NY Harbor from the walk around Brooklyn Heights is really nice. You can also see the local switchers and sharp curves and switches used by the local peddler and the RR barges. The area could become dangerous after dark. I remember finding a great Mexican food restaurant in Brooklyn Heights. Great food, greeat service, and then the bill showed up. Didn't go there too often.

by pennsy

Hi,

Outstanding views from the Williamsburg Bridge. I have been to parties that were held on the bridge, Manhattan side, near Delancey st. that were outstanding. Even had music and dancing.

Tilliary st. and Brooklyn Heights are worth visiting. I used to wander through those streets in between classes at Brooklyn Polytech. Great restaruannts, but pricey. View of NY Harbor from the walk around Brooklyn Heights is really nice. You can also see the local switchers and sharp curves and switches used by the local peddler and the RR barges. The area could become dangerous after dark. I remember finding a great Mexican food restaurant in Brooklyn Heights. Great food, greeat service, and then the bill showed up. Didn't go there too often.

by jlr3266

I recommend going over on the Brooklyn, and getting off at Henry Street. Then it is a short walk over to the Manhattan Bridge for the walk back.

by islandtransit

Celeste and Grimaldi's is all I need!

by pennsy

Hi Island Transit;

Well now, we finally got down to the nitty gritty. The question then is, What kind of food do you prefer, and where are the best restaurants that can provide that food ??? That will tell you which bridge to cross.

by islandtransit

I havenit lived in the area in years. I know the guy that runs Celeste, so that's why I head there all the time. Plus, it's cheap(great, now you got me craving a bacon omlet from there, lol). Grimaldi's is just a New York institution as far as pizza goes.

There's Montague St which is chock full of restaurants, plus a Haggan Daz(atleast it was there 4 years ago). I actually don't know much bout the Williamsburg area. I believe the Puerto Rican section of Williamsburg is further inland, so that rules out any good Puerto Rican restaurants(though if it were me, I'd walk 3 miles for a taste of "home")