• Bronx NYC Port Morris power plant

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by chnhrr

Could any one suggest where I could find -

a) Photo’s of the Port Morris power plant, especially exterior shots?
b) History on the power plant and adjacent facilities?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by chnhrr

I’ve found an architectural section showing the generators and the coal bunker. My understanding is this was one of two power plants that served Grand Central. The other plant was located at Glenwood on the Hudson. I think the Port Morris plant was decommissioned in the 1930’s, but any additional information would be greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by chnhrr on Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by enwhycentral

There is a painting of the Port Morris Powerplant. I've attached a photo. You might be able to find out more about it if you contact the New York Correction History Society.
  by chnhrr

Thank you enwhycentral

Yes, I would like to see if I could find a larger picture of that rendering. I plan someday to build a model of the structure. Right now I only have the Glenwood plant as a guide (see photo).

Question to all those interested: How did each power plant serve GCT and the New York Central electrified zone? Did the Glenwood plant provide power solely for the Hudson Line while the Port Morris provided electricity for the Central’s facilities in New York City? I haven’t come across anything in my books.

Chuck
Alexandria, VA
  by enwhycentral

Have you seen these photos of the Glenwood plant?
Glenwood x 4.JPG
  by chnhrr

Thanks again enwhycentral

Yes, I have most of these photos in my collection except for the first one that you have posted. One can see in this photo that the Glenwood plant’s coal hoist-way is at the end of steam generating section of the complex, directly on the Hudson. From the posted architectural section above and my limited areal photographs of the Port Morris plant, it appears that the hoist-way was to the side of the building and next to a protected dock or pier. Coal barges did not unload directly off the East River.

Anyhow, to all New York “Centralites” I would appreciate any information concerning the division of power distribution between these two magnificent NYC plants. (see my previous post).
  by enwhycentral

by chnhrr

Thanks for the links enwhycentral. Timz thanks for the areal photo link, which also gives a good view of the New Haven’s facility at Oak Point

This is the best photograph I’ve come across so far of the New York Central’s Port Morris powerhouse on the East River. It is taken looking North at the coal hoist-way. It also shows goods and lighting barges moored around the Central’s Port Morris freight facility. The photo dates from 1930 when the plant was operational.