• Bronx automobile warehouse

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by enwhycentral

There have been some posts on this forum as well as on others about an automobile warehouse in the Bronx which in its later days served other uses. It was on a spur off the Hudson line in between Marble Hill and Spuyten Duyvil. While the building is still there, the spur has been disconnected from the mainline.

What's new to me (and I hope to you) is this picture of the warehouse I came across which was taken in the late 1940's. Also check out some of the other photos in this digital library.

Go to: http://cdm.metro.org:8080/cdm4/item_vie ... =147&REC=4

by FullParallel

enwh,

When I was a kid living in Inwood in the early to mid eighties I remember going to this warehouse with my mother to buy new pillows & bedding. There was an outlet on either the 2nd or 3rd floor. I can remember seeing a boxcar or two on one of the sidings on the opposite side of the building than the one shown in the photo's. There was also a large freight yard here called "Frog Hollow" or simply FHwhich was the telegraph call for the tower just west of the current Marble Hill station. My Great Grandfather workd in FH yard until his death in the mid 50's. Dad has vague memories of going to visit his him in the yard and riding what we think was an R-2 notor. The NY Public Library also has some interesting shots of Frog Hollow Yard. I am on my laptop & donthave the link, other wise I would post it on here. Thanks for the link to the photo.

Steve Loitsch
  by roberttosh

Was wondering if anyone could tell me how many through trains the NYC was running on a daily basis over Washington Hill in Western MA just prior to the creation of the PC. Thanks!