Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Trackseventeen

How the IRT, BRT/BMT, or the City of New York never purchased any of its subway cars from Brill? If Im incorrect I am sure I will be promtly reprimanded, scolded, and sent to my room!!! :P

by Phil Hom

Maybe Brill never really considered bidding on rapid transit equipment for anyone (i.e. NYC, Chicago, Boston). They got the contract to construct rolling stock for their home town subway late in the game.

Time to review the Brill history book.

by Trackseventeen

Phil Hom wrote:Maybe Brill never really considered bidding on rapid transit equipment for anyone (i.e. NYC, Chicago, Boston). They got the contract to construct rolling stock for their home town subway late in the game.

Time to review the Brill history book.
I guess that would explain it, I was going to ask if 1905 was late in the game (The year the contracts were awarded for the first Market st cars) but then I remembered the were built by Pressed Steel.

by walt

The last cars Brill built for the Philadelphia subway system were the Bridge Line Cars circa 1936--- I believe they also built one of the two Broad Street Subway car types, but other than that, in Philadelphia, it was streetcars that were supplied by Brill. ( Until the advent of the PCC cars, anyway).