• Bright Yellow Switcher in Philly Allied Chemical Plant

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by BuddSilverliner269

Hello everyone, as I was coming home for the weekend on Friday afternoon and I had to cross over CSAO Frankford St Industrial into Allied Chemical at Lefever Street and I always look into the plant to see if I see anything and I did, I brightly painted yellow SW unit. Does anyone know if they are going to do there own switching? Anyone able to get pics? Jfrey or anyone? See what you can find out because Im really curious.I may drive by there on my way back to Wilmington to Choo Choo U.

Thanks

by drumz0rz

Sounds like an old PB&E switcher. I've seen them a lot around Allentown, Bethlehem. Philly sounds far for them to be.

by BuddSilverliner269

This could be possible but for some reason I doubt the case. I couldnt see any lettering that was big enough to see. Im just wondering that if its such a safety sensitive area with chemicals etc that the plant didnt request something for better visibility whether CSAO had it painted or they are doing there own in house switching......Hmmm?

by jfrey40535

I'll be by the area Monday Budd (with camera), so I'll let you know if I see anything. I know most of the switching there is done at night, usually after 10pm, I'm just not sure on what days. If they have a small yard in the plant, maybe it made more sense for them to switch out the cars themselves instead of paying CSAO to do it. I guess Allied is the only thing keeping that yard on Aramingo going, plus that whole Industrial track there off the Kensington Branch. Now that Tioga Pipe is gone, I've heard Wal-Mart rumors and wondered if that would interfere with the line.

I couldn't really get a good shot of the engine from the street, and I'm not a big fan of photographing chemical plants:

by BrianM

The unit in question is RSSX SW1200 #802. They now have the switching contract. Shared Assets will no longer switch that plant and one other, I forget the location., but that one will be done by an RSSX GP10.

The SW came in on Q417 at the end of March and then sent over to Frankford Junction on CA01 last week. There are some good pics of the unit posted on the South Jersey Yahoo group as well as Trainorders.com

Brian

by chuchubob

BrianM wrote:The unit in question is RSSX SW1200 #802. They now have the switching contract. Shared Assets will no longer switch that plant and one other, I forget the location., but that one will be done by an RSSX GP10.

The SW came in on Q417 at the end of March and then sent over to Frankford Junction on CA01 last week. There are some good pics of the unit posted on the South Jersey Yahoo group as well as Trainorders.com

Brian
Thanks, Brian.
RSSX 802 came in to Pavonia on Q417 on March 28. After some work in the Pavonia shop on April 1, 802 was posed with CSX 1123 for a portrait. That afternoon they
went out on CA01.
  by PVRX1

There are now two switchers on site. A second bright yellow one has arrived under the radar. It appears (at 60mph on Route 95) to bear number RSSX 1234.