• Brattle Loop Usage!

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by jrc520

Well, since Lechemere is not with us right now, it turns out that the Brattle loop is used to store about half the cars they need for service overnight, with the rest being stored @ North Station. Confirmed this last night.

by efin98

I would think that those are E Line cars exclusively since the E Line has no yard and it has to deadhead west to make the first few runs of the day(unlike the other three). Pre positioning the cars on the three tracks and loop lets the E Line move trains into position to head west while keeping decent headways for the first few runs in the morning.

by Ron Newman

How many trains can fit in the Heath Street loop for overnight storage?

by efin98

Ron Newman wrote:How many trains can fit in the Heath Street loop for overnight storage?
None because the T wouldn't keep trains there overnight. It's only two loops and not a yard like at Lake Street or Lechmere and the loops at Heath Street are not enclosed like the Brattle loop or Kenmore loop or even the Park Street loop.
The only time I would think that the T would even have a train on the loop past 1 AM would be when the T is running trains during snowstorms to keep the E Line clear, but I would think they would not be left unaccompanied for long.

by jwhite07

I used to lived up the hill a short distance from Heath Street loop. The MBTA definitely does not keep trains stored there overnight.

by lstrong

Around 6:15 tonight there was a train with passengers on that 3rd GC track. The train was labeled B - Boston College.

by efin98

lstrong wrote:Around 6:15 tonight there was a train with passengers on that 3rd GC track. The train was labeled B - Boston College.
Sounds about right, it turns at Government Center to fill in for another train that was supposed to get in before that train. Happens all the time during rush hour.

by MBTA1

That could just be a moterman malfunction with the rollsign. :wink:

by efin98

MBTA1 wrote:That could just be a moterman malfunction with the rollsign. :wink:
It wasn't. B and C trains go all the way to Lechmere for their first few runs in the morning. They allow normal headways between Government Center and Lechmere to be kept going east since there would be a large gap between Government Center and Lechmere thanks to more trains going west than coming east.

by BC Eagle

efin98 wrote:
MBTA1 wrote:That could just be a moterman malfunction with the rollsign. :wink:
It wasn't. B and C trains go all the way to Lechmere for their first few runs in the morning. They allow normal headways between Government Center and Lechmere to be kept going east since there would be a large gap between Government Center and Lechmere thanks to more trains going west than coming east.
I don't think any trains are going to Lechmere these days. If they keep things the way they are, when service resumes to Lechmere, the B trains will terminate there regularly.

by efin98

BC Eagle wrote:I don't think any trains are going to Lechmere these days. If they keep things the way they are, when service resumes to Lechmere, the B trains will terminate there regularly.
I doubt that, the E will return there since Lechmere has a yard and the E Line doesn't have one. The B will probably stay at North Station or switch with the D or C at Government Center.

by BC Eagle

efin98 wrote: I doubt that, the E will return there since Lechmere has a yard and the E Line doesn't have one. The B will probably stay at North Station or switch with the D or C at Government Center.
Yeah, I never said that the E-Line wouldn't continue to run to Lechmere, especially since they don't have their own yard. The only question that remains is if the T will continue to run 2 lines all the way to Lechmere as they have over the past few years, of if they will have one of the lines continue to terminate at North Station. Does anyone remember where each line terminated back when trains were able to turn back at North Station Under?

by MBTAFan

efin98 wrote: I doubt that, the E will return there since Lechmere has a yard and the E Line doesn't have one. The B will probably stay at North Station or switch with the D or C at Government Center.
I agree with Ed, I doubt the B would continue to go the whole way to Lechemere. It has a lot to with the time it takes to do one round trip. No offense to the B line, but I'm willing to bet that it is the slowest line of them all.

by efin98

BC Eagle wrote:Yeah, I never said that the E-Line wouldn't continue to run to Lechmere, especially since they don't have their own yard. The only question that remains is if the T will continue to run 2 lines all the way to Lechmere as they have over the past few years, of if they will have one of the lines continue to terminate at North Station. Does anyone remember where each line terminated back when trains were able to turn back at North Station Under?
I understand what you mean but I highly doubt the B will operate all the way to Lechmere much longer than through June of 2005, if anything it will terminate at Governemnt Center again or continue on terminating at North Station.

It depends on the ridership though, what lines attract more riders north of Government Center will determine what lines go to either North Station or Lechmere. From the times I have taken the B to the new station it has been mostly empty north of Government Center, compare that with a 1/2 full E train or a 3/4ths full D train.