• brass locomotive bell with unusual aspects

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by Scott Gardner

This question is in regard to a recently acquired locomotive bell. It is a brass bell with a brass finial and 12" diameter base. The bell itself weights approximately 45 - 50 pounds, is traditionally shaped and does not have the characteristics of an older EMD. What seems unusual to me is the yoke and cradle are not cast. Although the execution was aesthetically and structurally excellent they both have been formed from welded 5/16 " steel plate. It is noted there are no bushings in the cradle where the yoke pins rock. Also, the brass finial has no surface where a wrench can be applied. The clapper ball is not perfectly formed, moreover has some flat spots from machining.
Is this bell of a type actually put in service on a working railroad? If so what era and locomotive type? Steve Lee, department head of Union Pacific Steam Division, said yoke and cradles of this type were produced during the war. If anyone in the country knows steam I am sure he does! Still, any additional information on this equipment would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks, Scott :-)

by scharnhorst

If this is what Steve Lee told you then Its more than likley true. During WWII things were built as simple as possable and put in service as fast as possable in some cases for limited time use. I would think that quality was not all that important for none war related items.
Last edited by scharnhorst on Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by pennsy

We might also remind you that during WWII metals were in short supply and rationed. Brass would be one of the metals high on that list. So as little brass as possible would have been used to manufacture that bell.
  by Scott Gardner

Thank you to those having taken the time to reply to my inquiry. Your comments are much appreciated!

The previous owner was told this bell came from Southern Pacific. Possessing a number of early artifacts and having a particular fondness for all things Espee, confirmation of this would be a happy event. Still, it is realized that a bell seemingly this generic would be difficult to trace to a specific railroad.

The biggest concern has been if the bell was accurately represented as actual steam era equipment or "put together" later on. Consider the finial was so decoratively machined that it would seem out of character with war time production. However, reflecting on Mr. Lee's comments and those generously posted on this form, the former shall be optimistically embraced.

Again, any additional information would certainly be very much appreciated!
With sincere thanks, Scott
Last edited by Scott Gardner on Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

by scharnhorst

You know one thought that dose come to mind and its only a guess.. That bell could have been built on normal brakits at one time and maybe it was recycled by the railroad from a damaged locomotive?? and maybee someone who was good with welding built a new stand for the bell?
  by Scott Gardner

Thank you scharnhorst for your consideration as to the possible origin of the bell. The 12" diameter along with the decorative finial does suggest a bell from an earlier era locomotive. Given the quality of fabrication for both the yoke and cradle, a locomotive shop could easily be credited with the work. The yoke and cradle had been painted blue years ago but even older original black paint under the bottom of the base would indicate the bell had been put to service on a working steam locomotive. (Note: As this is being typed, diesels can be heard signaling in the distance).

Optimism for additional information will persist. The greatest opportunity would be to see an actual photo of this bell type on a period locomotive. Any possibility of this would be more than greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for your kind consideration,
Scott

by scharnhorst

would you happen to have any photos of the bell to post here for us to see?
  by Scott Gardner

Thank you for your request to view a photo of this bell so as to better understand it. An attempt to take photos and post them on this sight will be made as soon as possible. Your patience is greatly appreciated as is your interest in helping to solve my question!

With much appreciation,
Scott

[/url]
  by Scott Gardner

Finally! Here are the photos of this locomotive bell with unusual aspects. The blue paint is definitely an old refinish but much older durable black paint is found underneath the pedestal base.

Please click on the link below to view the 7 photos and click each photo to get a nice close-up. Your valuable opinion is anxiously awaited!

Thanks again for your patience and time.
Best regards, Scott

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh83/gozolet/

by scharnhorst

Vary nice! looks like it could have been used on a steam loco. I have seen some photos of early diesel/gas powered locos which had a rope or chain attached to the bell so that it could be used.

by 3rdrail

That's a beauty ! If it's original as we now see it, I doubt very much that it's war period with that kind of look and embellishment. It looks to me like early 20th century outside of WWI, from a small steam locomotive. The blue paint seems to be applied after removal for display purposes, as your base appears to be the same and is also painted with the same paint. I have an EMD bell from an early New York Central E8A which is primarily the same size and shape. Mine, unlike yours, is driven by an air-driven horizontal piston ringer. Also, we must take into consideration the fact that many bells over the years have been parted out with multiple parts interchanged, swapped, added, and deducted. Sometimes, the whole doesn't equal the sum of the parts. In any event, it is a striking looking piece ! As you said, it would be a great mystery and satisfying find to discover the bell's heritage. Are there any identifying marks, numbers, etc. on any part ? I was fortunate that I received mine from a worker who actually removed the bell from a railroad junkyard as the early EMD bronze bells were not marked, but you never know - a little research and you might find out a lot ! I'm also curious about what appears to be an off-set at the head of your bell by the yoke. Here's a great site on bells written by Larry Curran:

http://www.bellsandbirmans.com/bells/bellfacts.php
  by Scott Gardner

Hello 3rdrail!

Thank you for taking the time to comment on the bell. Your insight is greatly appreciated! Unfortunately there are no identifying marks or numbers on any of the parts. Is was hoped that someone would recognize this style bell being from an engine that they had see or even worked with. You were certainly fortunate with your EMD bell circumstance! So many bells have lost their history forever.

Regarding the off-set; I'm not exactly sure what is being referred to but if you click on an individual photo, a nice close-up will be provided. Also, thanks very much for providing the Larry Curran link. As you stated, it is a great site!

Best regards to you,
Scott