• Boxcars at Baker Commodities, N Billerica

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by rb

On Windows Live and Google Maps, there appear to be boxcars spotted on this spur. What are they for?
  by Boston-and-Maine

Based on other businesses which have boxcars / hoppers left behind I would say they are used as a storage device...
  by wolfmom69

Baker Commodities (I guess "commodities", or the older term "rendering" sounds better than "animal parts")
is what business they are in. They have at least one facility here in Maine, between Augusta & Winslow, on Rt. 201.
This facility is not served by rail, although about a mile from the "Lower Road".

I know that after "pick up" at locals markets, the "parts" are trucked in their semis to an out of state facility; probably
N. Billerica. If the cars are on the spur just for storage, that should be e-z to check out.

Bud
  by GP40MC 1116

Baker Commodities I believe picks up the junk or used Grease used in cooking at restaurants. The trucks all say N. Billerica, MA however the plates on the truck are from Vermont which is confusing.
  by frrc

GP40MC 1116 wrote:Baker Commodities I believe picks up the junk or used Grease used in cooking at restaurants. The trucks all say N. Billerica, MA however the plates on the truck are from Vermont which is confusing.
Some trucking firms will register their vehicles in Vermont due to some fuel sticker and other regulations. I know of a few large towing firms based in MA, that have all their trucks registered in Vermont. A few weeks ago a friend of mine got his box truck (MA registration) impounded in Vermont as he didn't have a Vermont Fuel Sticker and other violations. He paid a hefty fine. When he mentioned this to the MA RMV, their response was "well, you should know the regulations in other states, we only tell you about Massachusetts..."

JoeF