• Boston Red Sox Travel by Amtrak

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by railfanofewu

As for Baseball teams taking the train where it is possible, too bad Portland lost out on the Expos. It could have been Amtrak Cascades serving both teams.

by AmtrakFan

railfanofewu wrote:As for Baseball teams taking the train where it is possible, too bad Portland lost out on the Expos. It could have been Amtrak Cascades serving both teams.
How about the Cubs or the Brewers to CHI/MKE?

AmtrakFan

by Gilbert B Norman

Oh well, when I first knew what Major Leage Baseball was, there were player about with names like Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams. Of interest that even after the Expos move to Washington (presently, no assurance they will be named Senators) there is still only one more city along the NEC with MLB than say ,1950 and still two less teams than then.

With five cities again along the NEC with MLB, will this give rise to greater rail usage than in the past?

by walt

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Oh well, when I first knew what Major Leage Baseball was
Of further interest, in light of Mr. Norman's player list, is the fact that Ted Williams was the last manager of the American League Washington Senators. One problem with naming the transplanted Expos the Senators is that the Rangers still own the name.

I doubt that the re-emergence of Washington to the roster of Major League Cities is that it will now be in the National League with only the Phillies and Mets sharing the east coast. As I understand the tentative 2005 schedule, interleague play will not have Washington playing Baltimore this year, so that eliminates one potential rail trip ( though when they do play, the travelling team is likely to travel by bus.)

Another problem is that with 15 teams in each league, teams don't make as many trips into each city as they did in the 1950's when each league had only 8 teams. In those days, each city was visited four times, now, the schedule is imbalanced with West Coast teams coming east only twice.
And with the "jumping around" that I described earlier, it would be difficult to maintain that schedule using the rails. I do believe that it would be possible to create a schedule that would permit the use of the rails by east coast teams playing on the east coast ( ie the Orioles travelling to NY, Boston, and then Philly for interleague play) but MLB doesn't seem inclined to do this.