• Boston and Maine Engine No. 206

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Tom_E_Reynolds

Hi all,

I am a frequent poster on the New Jesey Railfan forums, so I know almost nothing about the B&M.
While getting some old postcards listed on Ebay tonight, I came accross this: Boston and Maine No. 206
Scan10006a.JPG
Looks to be a very old, original, one of a kind postcard. Infact, I can't seem to find much info on B&M No.206 anywhere.

Can someone point me to a steam engine roster? Can anyone identify the location?

And I would love to guess a date. I'm guessing 1915-1920 from the looks of similar postcards I have seen of other lines.

Is there any real value to this postcard? Considering that I can't seem to find ANY pictures of B&M engines of the 200 series makes me wonder if this was a rare set of engines.

Any help would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by truman

First, look for a copy of Harry A. Frye's book "Minuteman Steam, Boston and Maine locomotives 1911-1958". Bring enough wallet. Harry knew where all the bodies were buried, and this book has a lot of notes you won't find in an on line roster.
Engine 206 is an G-10 class 0-6-0 built by Alco- Manchester in 1903 as number 665, it was renumbered 206 in the 1911 renumbering. It went for scrap in 1929.
This style of lettering, large number on the tank, and "Boston and Maine" on the cab was used from about 1904 till 1927. I cannot determine if there is a letter abbreviation on the cab under the window, but if there is, this would narrow the date down a little, but not much.
The G-10 class switcher was not rare. Manchester built 110 of them between 1903 and 1910, but since it was merely an unglamorous switch engine, you won't see many photo's of them.
Hope this fills in some holes.