• Boothbay Railway Village

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by gokeefe

Over the past couple of months I have had a number of adventures related to my interest in rail from both a historical and public policy standpoint. Among several delayed reports that I have wanted to write when I was rested and could "do it justice" was of my visit to the Boothbay Railway Village this part summer.

The reason for visiting in this case was for someone quite a bit smaller than me to go see his favorite "useful engine", yes, none other than Thomas the Tank Engine himself. Boothbay Railway Village and the people working for HiT Entertainment did a great job with the visit of Thomas and his friends. While I won't go into much detail regarding that here suffice it to say that overall there was good value for the money and a certain young someone enjoyed himself thoroughly.

Ironically, despite having lived in the area for almost two years at one point and being a fan of the deli at Dave's Citgo when it was open (just across the street) I had certainly been by or close to the Village on any number of different occasions but never taken the time to visit. I also knew at the time that the owner was running the place not just as some kind of tourist trap but out of a genuine interest in historical preservation. This last aspect in particular is very significant to the quality of the museum and its worth as a historical showcase.

Before addressing the railroad related aspects of the Village it is worth acknowledging two very important things. First, there is an incredible collection of old cars at this museum. This exhibit alone is probably worth the price of admission. The cars are housed in a large purpose built steel structure towards the back end of the village. I would guess that there is something close to 20,000 square feet of space in that one building alone which is filled from one corner to another with antique (50 years old or more) cars. Second, for those who may be interested, and this might be even more important to some, the collection of antique fire trucks on hand is even more impressive and doubly so because they are all from Maine Fire Departments. The steam powered 1885 Button Pumper is the only example of a steam powered fire truck (carriage?) that I can ever remember seeing in person (and not in the movies). This one was used in service in Old Town, ME.

For the train ride we rode in what I believe was Combine 11 (ex-Franklin & Megantic, ex- Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes) which was very well preserved.

Whenever riding in historic rolling stock I always try to get a 'sense' of what it must have felt like to ride in that car with other passengers who may or may not have been strangers to me. Perhaps due in part to the relatively high ceiling the close quarters of the seating layout and configuration felt relatively spacious even for someone like me who is probably much taller than the average male was in 1890. The seats all appeared to be original (with reupholstered cushions of course) and the interior hardware and woodwork was in good condition. All of these things require long term maintenance and lots of loving care, especially since much of the car was essentially "hand-made" well over 100 years ago and their overall good and working condition is definitely a tribute to the hardwork of the volunteers and staff at the Village.

As with the WW&F the experience of riding in one of these preserved cars can be quite shocking at least in part due to the fact that so few large pieces from that era have survived. Knowing just how rare the opportunity and experience is makes it all that more interesting. The chance to ride in an intact and fully preserved passenger car from one of the original Maine "two-footers" was once again easily worth the price of admission.

Another "hidden gem" of the Village is a preserved Canadian Pacific railroad station, complete with pot-bellied coal stove, from somewhere along the old International Railway of Maine. I can't find online references to remind me of where the station was located but these would be very rare indeed. I was kind of impressed by the little hand card outside that had a CP number on it as well. Probably not something that records would have on hard but nonetheless interesting if in fact an actual historical artifact.

Obviously much has been made of the fact that Freeport's old train station is located out in front of the Railway Village and acts more or less as its center piece. The day we went there the station was being used for the event ticketing for most of the day. The building was also in very good condition. I was more impressed by what I felt was the likely ex-MEC wig wag signal in operating condition along with the old crossing gate that went along with it. These are not common at all and the only two operating examples that I know of at this point are at the Village and also the Conway Scenic Railroad. To my knowledge there are no other examples of preserved MEC wig wags anywhere else (supposedly these were once common on the B&M as well).

Also on the ground of the village are numerous other preserved historical buildings which had been moved to that area from one place or another, with many of them coming from locations on the peninsula itself. These are impressive enough in their own right but I wouldn't necessarily say, "worth the price of admission to see this alone."

What is, or what eventually will be, worth the price of admission alone is the Model Railroad exhibit located in a building to the rear of the Village. Here the Boothbay Railway Village Model Railroaders have taken painstaking efforts to create a layout and design that will ultimately recreate a State of Maine scene unlike any other. The current layout includes a double track swing bridge, light house and other elements strongly suggestive of the former Grand Trunk and Maine Central facilities in and around Portland, ME. The rolling stock used is highly detailed and includes a trainset of Pullman green heavyweight ex-MEC cars each with their own unique number. I was extremely impressed by not only the quality but the vision for history the the Model Railroaders clearly have in mind.

Overall I found the Boothbay Railway Village to be a great place to spend the day with my own family and it offered numerous historical exhibits that can capture the imagination and recreate the past in ways that could only happen in person. I would strongly recommend visiting the museum to anyone.

Of note, as of the writing of this post the Village has begun the process of restoring to full working operation S.D. Warren Engine #2 which sat for several decades underneath their sign and served as the Village "marquee". This is yet another development at the Village, which also supports the WW&F that makes it not only worthy of discussion here but "worth the visit".
  by Mikejf

Even more amazing is when you look at these buildings, you think that they were built there. Not moved there. They took alot of these apart, board by board, and reassembled them on site.

BRV has always been one of my favorite places to go, from when I was a kid, right up to today. The variety they have there is enough to peak interest in almost anybody.
  by gokeefe

Most definitely agreed and to the extent that we like to think these forums cover "pretty much everything" going on in their respective regions Boothbay Railway Village has been decidedly under-appreciated on Railroad.net.

They've been critical to the efforts at WW&F (also somewhat lightly discussed here) and they are at present the leaders in most mechanical efforts having anything to do with the Maine two footers.
  by MEC407

Great report! Thanks for taking the time to write it. BRV has been on my to-visit list for many years. Hopefully I'll be able to check it out in the coming year.
  by jaymac

Additional thanks! It's been added to the to-do list.
  by gokeefe

You're both welcome. The way they market themselves sometimes it's all too easy to write the place off as some kind of third-rate Edaville. They are anything but that.
  by Cosmo

gokeefe wrote:You're both welcome. The way they market themselves sometimes it's all too easy to write the place off as some kind of third-rate Edaville. They are anything but that.
Especially since Edaville is a notch below third these days. BUT! The boiler work for Edaville's NEW steam loco is being done at BOOTHBAY's shop, meaning that, when finished/delivered, Edaville will again have MAINE 2' steam!
But Boothbay today remains what Edaville once was with it's museum and memorabilia. The focus on history at Edaville has lost.
  by kilroy

I'm not a gear head but even I found the auto and fire truck collections impressive. I started going as a kid when it was only trains and I've continued to go and see it grow but must admit I haven't been in a number of years. Sounds like I mneed to make a return tripnext time I'm up that way.
  by gokeefe

Cosmo wrote:But Boothbay today remains what Edaville once was with it's museum and memorabilia.
Given what I've always read about the place, after visiting Boothbay and then writing the initial post I couldn't help but wonder if there was in some way a parallel between Boothbay now and Edaville in the past.

Regardless, people should take heart. There are two very strong organizations within a few miles of each other, on the Maine mid-coast that have a pretty serious interest in preserving the legacy of Maine 2' narrow gauge railroads. Neither of these seem likely to be going anywhere anytime soon. If anything the Boothbay shops, with their concentration of expertise, are potentially starting to bring in some revenue for the Village that they never had in the past. That really says a lot about how things have changed. Steam shops like that in the past would have been seen as a cost-center, now because of their relatively rare nature they have the potential to cover some of their expenses by performing work for third parties.
  by CVRA7

Thanks for the great report, gokeefe. I've been there at least 3 times and your review reminds me that it is time to go visit once again!
The Maine 2 footer attractions have helped to make the state my second home and I have happily spent a considerable amount of my vacation dollars there on food, fuel and lodging in addition to direct spending at the attractions.
  by gokeefe

CVRA7 wrote:Thanks for the great report, gokeefe. I've been there at least 3 times and your review reminds me that it is time to go visit once again!
You're welcome. I feel very lucky to be able to go see a place like that basically, "at the drop of a hat".
CVRA7 wrote:The Maine 2 footer attractions have helped to make the state my second home and I have happily spent a considerable amount of my vacation dollars there on food, fuel and lodging in addition to direct spending at the attractions.
Even better! Lots of great places to stay and eat down in that area too! Boothbay Harbor's cuisine options are among the best anywhere in Maine.