• Blue/Orange Lines

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by hardyboyz1999

Did the Blue and Orange lines have very many Breda cars from 1987-1995?
  by Sand Box John

"hardyboyz1999"
Did the Blue and Orange lines have very many Breda cars from 1987-1995?

The total system miles was much less then today. There were three less service facilities in the system during the Breda procurement. The cars were dispersed throughout the system. The cars first saw service shortly after the Huntington station opened. At that time the only line that was fully completed was the Orange Line.

by WMATAGMOAGH

According to The Story of Metro, the 2000s were relegated to the Red Line shortly after their arrival. Other than that period, I don't think they were ever exclusively assigned to a single place.

by Sand Box John

"WMATAGMOAGH"
According to
The Story of Metro, the 2000s were relegated to the Red Line shortly after their arrival. Other than that period, I don't think they were ever exclusively assigned to a single place.

At that time Brentwood was the primary maintenance facility. Alexandria yard was in the process of being put on line. As I recall, once Alexandria yard got up and running the Breda cars were found on all lines. Expectance testing was done on the J Route between C and J Junction and the west yard lead junction of Alexandria yard. During most of the procurement of the of the Breda cars Alexandria yard was their home base much the same way the 5 and 6k cars have been based out of Greenbelt during their procurement and expectance testing.