Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Tadman

This is a new thread to list some Big Ideas you would like to see happen at NICTD or CSS freight. We already know about Valpo and Cedar Lake service, but other smaller projects such as MC re-route, SB airport re-route to a more direct route, or stuff that's never been mentioned such as electric locomotive hauled passenger trains, higher speeds, etc...

Hopefully we can limit ourselves to somewhat feasible ideas that could have a realistic and positive effect on our beloved Shore. Obviously we're not re-wiring to NEC alternating current or extending to Kentucky...

by PRRGuy

I don't know about this being a "big idea" but SouthShore freight really needs to invest in new motive power..ten GP-38-2's justs don't cut it anymore. Theres not enough time to keep all ten out on the road when youre trying to keep them correctly maintained. Too bad you can't run SD units on the whole line.

by JLJ061

Where on the line can't SD's be run?

by PRRGuy

I know that SD's cant go on a few tracks in the shops yard as well as the main beyond a certain point. I can't remember it off hand but it is listed in our employee timetables.

by byte

It might be feasible for them to use 6-axle power using EMD/GE's radial trucks. Then again, even if they could use more locomotives, I don't really foresee the South Shore needing any locomotives in excess of 3,000 or so HP.

by MikeF

I agree that while CSS might need more locomotives, they probably don't need the high-horsepower six-axle models that are being built now. Some used GP38-2's would probably be the most logical option.

The current timetable specifies that six axle locomotives are allowed between Goff Junction and Shops only and are prohibited on track F-2 in Shops Yard.

by PRRGuy

I knew Mr Mike would come thru on that one. Too bad the GP's are in demand by everyone, I can't see CSS paying the current amount for some of those units.

by dinwitty

Understanding the new passenger cars age in the future, what would the line do for the future, stick with the design, or find a sleeker style with better streamlining and upping the line for even higher speeds?

by MikeF

I imagine NICTD will stick with a design similar to that of the 100-series cars -- single-ended with high-level doors at both ends and the center, and low-level steps with trap doors at the B end. The limiting factor for speed, currently, is not the design of the cars, but rather the lack of an ATC/PTC system, which per FRA regulations is required for speeds over 79 mph.

by Tadman

So did the F45's get limited to the goff-MC run? I've only seen pics at shops and in the dunes - and how easy would it be to remedy the clearance issues, because 700's were moderate sized 6-axle units and 800's were enormous six axle units.

Also, DRGW had lots of four axle power and they haul coal - maybe some used NS GP59's even some used Alco C4XX's from LNAC - I hear centuries lug a coal train with a vengeance.

by dinwitty

Joes were 8 axles
4 each truck

by Tadman

there you go... it must have something to do with high platforms or a newer bridge, because I'm sure joes made it to Kensington to interchange freight for the 10 years before 700's showed up, although I know certain sidings or spurs wouldn't hold their weight.

ya'll think if we put together a petition, we could borrow IRM's joe for some testing in a few weekends?

by PRRGuy

I'll volunteer my time to be the engineer, just need to find a way to put ditch lights on that lol

by Tadman

SHOTGUN!

by JLJ061

While we're at it, let's bring back their bay window cabeese, as well!