• Big Four Line Relocations or Bypasses

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by eddiebehr

I have Big Four Ohio Division employee timetable #21 dated June 7, 1942. I noted a couple of items that look like they were either bypasses or relocations.
Paget to Delaware, Ohio between Galion and Columbus. Some Cleveland-Cincinnati trains bypassed Delaware entirely which others made a stop there. Were back-up moves required either in or out of Delaware or could a train keep going in the same direction after making the Delaware stop.
Anderson, Indiana looks like the passenger station was on a line that was bypassed by a freight line that ran through South Anderson. It doesn't look like back-up moves were required. Were Delco and Taft the points where the line via Anderson passenger station left and rejoined the mainline?
  by R Paul Carey

The cut-off (bypassing Delaware) is the Main Track of the Columbus Line, while the "old" line via Delaware was connected at both ends and frequently used as a passing siding. The Delaware station was, therefore, on a progressive route between Cleveland and Columbus.

As further information, the NYC's direct route (bypassing Columbus) between Cleveland and Springfield connected at Delaware, just west of the station, as I recall.
  by lvrr325

Anderson is interesting because it's possible to go in a circle like a model train on a 4x8 sheet of plywood. The mainline splits to go downtown and to the south and the whole thing is bisected by a branch from Elkhart that originally ran to Louisville. You also had a Pennsy line out of Columbus, now abandoned, crossing through and following the line downtown past the passenger station.

The passenger station still stands. The line to the south has one concrete overpass that has a cast-in Penn Central logo and I believe a 1968 date to it. So it may be a fairly late relocation.
  by Roger Hensley

No, Delco was not where the South Anderson line took off. It was Gridley which is further to the East.

The PC bridge is fairly new but is still the old line. The bridge was built to run Madison Ave under it.