• Bergen Arches & CNJ Terminal

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by sullivan1985

Did a little exploring and photography today at two locations. First time I ever walked the arches, and just another trip to the CNJ Terminal. I plan on walking the arches again with a tripod next time and getting many more detailed shots.

Some shots are of graffiti, but the reason I'm posting them is to show decay to the walls and such. So for any graffiti fans out there, it's a double bonus.

Bergen Arches:
The Old Erie Main
Pit Of Doom
Archway Tags III
Archway Tags IV
Archway Tags V
The Forgotten World Below
Man VS Earth
Fear The Path Ahead

CNJ Terminal
The Beginning Of America
Home Of The CNJ I
Home Of The CNJ II
Home Of The CNJ III
Home Of The CNJ IV
Home Of The CNJ V
Home Of The CNJ VI
Jersey Central Lines

And then to play with your eyes a little bit, try this one out too...
Tunnel Of Steel
Last edited by sullivan1985 on Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by CarterB

Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

Question..... from some of your arches pics there is still some rail down?

by sullivan1985

CarterB wrote:Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

Question..... from some of your arches pics there is still some rail down?
There is about a 1/2 mile of track 2 left, and it's in very sorry shape. Such a shame to see so much hard work go to waste.

by Don31

Excellent work, as usual.

by MickD

These are great.Looks like you accessed The Arches through the east end?

by Diamond_D7

GREAT work! Really excellent photography. "Fear the Path Ahead" is particularly well done I thought.

by sullivan1985

MickD wrote:These are great.Looks like you accessed The Arches through the east end?
Yep. Parked down by the west end of the Pavonia Yards, and walked up the RoW to the entrance. Very interesting area.

by Ken S.

Is this a different tunnel than the one that comes out near West End? Or are we talking about the same tunnel? Cause, I saw a train coming out of that tunnel today and head for Croxton.

by sullivan1985

Ken S. wrote:Is this a different tunnel than the one that comes out near West End? Or are we talking about the same tunnel? Cause, I saw a train coming out of that tunnel today and head for Croxton.
The tunnel you see is still used and is much older than the Bergen arches. The Bergen arches where built to add more room for traffic into and out of Pavonia Terminal because the tunnel only had one track. The tunnel and the arches parallel each other the whole way through. when a freight train is in it, you can feel and hear it from in the arches.

by timz

sullivan1985 wrote:because the [Erie Bergen] tunnel only had one track.
Dunno when they took the second track out of the tunnel, but I suspect it was years after the Arches were built.

by steemtrayn

timz wrote:
sullivan1985 wrote:because the [Erie Bergen] tunnel only had one track.
Dunno when they took the second track out of the tunnel, but I suspect it was years after the Arches were built.
I would assume that after a track was removed, the remaining track was centered in the tunnel to allow high equipment to pass (auto racks, etc.).

by AndyB

Below is link to aerial photos of area.
Large building in center is Dickerson HS.
East end ROW of Erie "Arches" just left of HS.
Track that is looping under NJ Turnpike is approach to original Erie Tunnel which is below the grade of the "Arches" and still active.
Follow ROW (line of trees) to west end by clicking corresponding photos upper left and you will see (right to left) arch ROW, original Erie Tunnel portal, two Lackawanna , now NJT Tunnels. West of the tunnels is West End Junction.

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2& ... ne=1957656

Edited: 04/02/06 - Sorry guys! Don't know why the trolley barn keeps appearing with the above link. Above the photo, in the where box, enter location, SR-139, Jersey City, NJ 07310, this should take you to the location of the cut.
Last edited by AndyB on Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Irish Chieftain

sullivan1985 wrote:Such a shame to see so much hard work go to waste.
That doesn't express half of it. Cries of "capacity issues" and all this plant is left to rot for an average of 40 years—rail terminal with 20-track capacity, and well-ventilated rail artery. Converting the Bergen Arches to a roadway (as NJDOT plans) would be one of the worst disasters ever to occur.

by NJTRailfan

If Bergan Arches is converted to a roadway at best you'll get a 4 lane congested headache. But with the idea I like which was rebuilt 2 tracks and ear mark it for light rail while the other half of the ROW can be used for a hiking/biking trail. Of course it should be well it since there are alot of dark areas in the system. I do hope the NJDOT will go for this idea then creating roads that will just add more grid lock to NJ.

by Scrap The U34CH

Great pics, thanks for posting them.