• Belvidere & Delaware River Railway question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by OCtrainguy

This past Saturday, I rode NYSW 142 in Phillipsburg. I also happened to see a BRW/Bel-Del train at Union Square in Phillipsburg headed north. While the camera did not initially cooperate, I believe the engine was BRW 1200. It did have a Belvidere & Delaware River Railway caboose on the end. I am guessing that they ran a day ahead of schedule as Hurrican Charley was supposed to come through Saturday night into Sunday. According to a map on the BR&W website, they interchange with NS in Phillipsburg. I have a few questions about freight activity along the line.

Would the interchange be done at Hudson Yard in Phillpsburg?
Where is Hudson Yard?
Can the yard be seen decently from public property?
Would th Bel-Del have their power lay over on the southern end of the line or in Phillipsburg?

Any information would be appreciated.

by wis bang

The street across from the staton on So main street is hudson street. If you make the turn off So. main, and not drive up the hill, you enter hudson yard, you can view it from the sidewalk across the street from
the station. Following So. main street south lets you look into the whole yard
  by raced1111

I'm not sure which yard wis bang is talking about, but Hudson Yard is north of Union Square. To answer the questions in order:
1. Yes, they interchange with NS at Hudson Yard
2. As mentioned, the yard is north of Union Square. My guestimate would be the yard starts 3/4 mile north of the Easton "free bridge".
3. I am not aware of any public locations that give a good view of the yard, and I've never walked back there either. I'm sure their are others that could give you some pointers.
4. Not sure of this answer. A few years past the power was kept behind the paper mill in Milford, at the southern end of the line. Since the paper mill is now closed, I have heard that power is kept at Baer Aggregates, a quarry customer just south of Carpentersville.

Hopefully someone else can give more details.

by David

Hudson Yard is part of the old Lehigh and Hudson River Railway and is located north of the town. It is where the L&HR interchanged with the other railroads there at that time (PRR, CNJ, DL&W and LV). After that interchange the L&HR trains would cross the Delaware River over its' own bridge, which is still used today mainly by the Bel-Del, run by the BR&W, and go to Allentown over CNJ tracks.