• being a station agent?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by 7 Train

My friend has a interest in being a NJT station agent. She and I were talking on the phone about jobs and we discussed about her working at a train station as a agent. She says she would enjoy that job, but where would there be locations (stations) that are staffed w/ agents. We mentioned Newark Penn Station, NY Penn, Dover and a few others, but does anyone know more?

She was also worried that the job was a little bit unsafe. Is that true (say being a station agent at a station in a rougher neighborhood)?

Also, where can I find out more info about this job? Openings, requirements, hours, etc. On NJT's site?

by Irish Chieftain

You are looking at a dwindling field of work. NJT would prefer to "hire" a TVM versus a new station agent.

Look here for a list of current NJT job postings...

by 7 Train

number of stations with station agents: 45
number of station with TVMs: 83

I guess humans are outnumbered!

by 7 Train

The figure of 83 stations I included also list NJT operated stations in NY State.

by transit383

7 Train wrote:number of stations with station agents: 45
number of station with TVMs: 83

I guess humans are outnumbered!
How does a station like New Brunswick, which has both a station agent and TVMs, get factored into that count?

by matt1168

Aberdeen-Matawan has both a ticket agent and 3 TVMs, 2 of which are normally broken.

Maybe she could work there?

by 7 Train

Maybe not.

She wants to be near her home. Somewhere in the Roxbury/Mt. Olive/Western Morris/Sussex County area.

by Jtgshu

First thing she should do is go to Maplewood and put an application in, and see what positions they are hiring for (there should be a list there), if ticket agent is one of them, thats a start. But, like most other crafts on the RR, everything is based on senority, and that determines where you work, when you will work and what you will do. The Ticket Agent craft is actually very large, and many work behind the scenes or in positions that the public doesn't see, and maybe not even dealing with tickets or moeny or passengers.

by dinky

Jtgshu wrote:The Ticket Agent craft is actually very large, and many work behind the scenes...in positions that the public doesn't see...not even dealing with tickets...
Of course not....why would someone who is a ticket agent work with tickets?? We know NJT is an efficient operation top to bottom.

by Jtgshu

The "ticket agent" craft at NJT is quite large actually, they could be agents who only deal with trainmen and handle our money, they could be auditors, people who audit trainmen and ticket agents to see if they have the correct amount of money in their bank, they could be TVM people who work on and refill TVM machines, they could even be crew callers or block operators (I know someone who just went from the Remittance office to being a bridge/block operator)

by ryanov

dinky wrote:Of course not....why would someone who is a ticket agent work with tickets?? We know NJT is an efficient operation top to bottom.
And why would someone whose login is "dinky" have a picture of a dinky as their icon? ;)