• Beesley secondary - Conectiv coal generation retirement

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by JJMDiMunno

CM-91 wrote:Another point brought up is the increase in the price of coal, while the price may have increased over the last year it is still cheaped, by far I'm told than Natural gas, and if the price were to rise substantially, that would seem to boad well for B. L. England as all three units can burn oil, and did at one time before the oil crisis in the 1970s.
Yes, speaking of your screen-name here, CM-91, the PRSL train that used to carry oil to the power plant at Beesley's, we are now experiencing an oil surge to that plant...we now see an oil train about once a week, 20 tanks each, old junk used oil from Paulsboro, but still, oil none-the-less. This is after an absence of about 2 years...might have been more (I'd have to look up the date of the last oil train, but I think it was Fall 2002)...

Just saw one of those today in fact...CA-20 it was, stone and oil mix, they made a stop at Winslow to drop the stone on the interchange before heading to Palermo, not sure if they made it back tonight...

Mike DiMunno

by Jersey_Mike

The #3 unit at Beesley's burns Bunker C, not coal. I had the privillage of getting a tour of the plant back in 1998. It was a relitivly hot summer day and the room at the top of the plant where the coal is dumped into the hoppers runs at a steady 135 degrees. Whoo wee! Shame if they shut it down. The #1 unit was converted to digital control aroun 96 or so.