• Bayridge branch operations

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by Mr rt

Oh no, that new little girl is going to rap you around her little finger.
Many a railfan has circumed to this :-(

Am waiting for my third grandchild.
This Saturday I visit the mother-to-be, then Sunday I operate at Branford.
Life is great if you play your cards right !
  by oakpoint

Jayjay1213:

Did you miss Key Foods or are they closed.

We did this siding (Conrail) until I beleive 1984?

Just past Favorite Plastics, I think.

Charles

by Jayjay1213

We still service Favorite, but Key Food is no more. They still have tracks running into their building down on the Brooklyn Terminal Market spur.
  by oakpoint

Also down the siding at Favorite on the same spur was another building across the Main St. through the empty lots, there next to the Subway tracks.

The siding at Key foods was a challange at times.
One time the local kids loaded up the switch at the bottom of the hill with stone after splitting the switch points. So we always had to look before desending ready to stop at the switch.

Coming up was another challenge being the hill was quite steep. It must have been at least 30 degrees ? We usualy had to get a running start.

One time we had a few cars and not enough room to get a running start so we had to grab a couple of cars at a time, bring them up the hill, set them off and go back down for the rest.

Charles

by BMT

[Also down the siding at Favorite on the same spur was another building across the Main St. through the empty lots, there next to the Subway tracks.]

Is that the paper-recycling business where RS-100 leaves box cars beneath the New Lots Ave. station of the Canarsie Line?
  by oakpoint

It was right next to a subway line, which line I'm not sure or if it was a paper recycling business back then. Has to be the same building. We had to unlock the gate to get in.

Charles

by BMT

Hey, oakpoint, I see you live in W. Haven, CT. You ever venture over to East Haven to ride the trolleys at the Shoreline Trolley Museum? You might run into me over there particularly on Saturdays during the Spring and Summer months either doing Ops for the public or working in the shop.
  by oakpoint

Well my friend from Brooklyn, I just moved from East Haven this past March. I lived only several blocks from the museum.

We will have to keep in touch and when spring comes around again, we will have to get together.

Thanks for sharing that with me.

Charles :-)

by DogBert

I've been meaning to ask this for a month or so now: anyone have any idea where the 4 LIRR diesel haul cars that were at 65th street went? They were pulled perhaps a month or so ago, destination unknown...

by jayrmli

They were moved to outside Linden Yard a few weeks ago due to neighborhood complaints. Now they have been moved again to Fremont due to neighborhood complaints.

I'm sure more complaints are to follow with this move! lol

Jay

by DogBert

I forsee them being stuck somewhere down the bushwich branch, where the hobos will welcome them with open arms and turn them into camp cars...

by BMT

Hey Dogbert, sounds like those old coaches have a solid future becoming the 'Homeless Express' :wink: (a New York City Transit term used to often to describe the 'E' train).

by DogBert

Is that the 'E' train, or the 'Smells like Pee' train? :-D

Whatever happens, they can't turn out any worse than those old wooden 'q cars' that were by the mta scrap yard for awhile in 2001. I've got a photo of one of its residents naked outside of it washing himself from a bucket.

I say stick them at the platform in ENY tunnel and just float out make it a shelter!
  by Mr rt

Re: the "Qs" in the SBK yard ... at least a certain local museum was able to gab some parts before they knocked them down into a pile of sawdust.

And this writer got to ride the "de-Qed" el cars in the Rockaways this Summer !
  by b&p rupture

DogBert wrote:I've been meaning to ask this for a month or so now: anyone have any idea where the 4 LIRR diesel haul cars that were at 65th street went? They were pulled perhaps a month or so ago, destination unknown...
jayrmli wrote:They were moved to outside Linden Yard a few weeks ago due to neighborhood complaints. Now they have been moved again to Fremont due to neighborhood complaints
Who actually owns these cars anyway?