• Bayonne/JC switcher?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by BigDell

Was in JC today. On the way back I cruised through the area near 14A on the NJTurnpike. Spotted this switcher (and a caboose) behind a fence out by the port area. Anyone know who it belongs to?

http://www.bigdell.com/bayonneSwitcher.jpg

Very nice coat of paint on this engine! But no lettering.
BigDell

by metman499

I think it is a Port Jersey switcher. They used to have a different paint scheme but I think that is the current one.

by Sir Ray

I second that, as that area definitely looks like the small Port Jersey engine yard, off Port Jersey Blvd.
While you were there, did you notice any activity of reconstructing the trackage across the road (Port Jersey Blvd) a little west of that engine terminal (it would lead into the large container area just south of PJ Blvd)? They were replacing ties and ballast in that area a few months ago, but not sure how far they got.

by tahawus84

looks like it was recently repainted, and they cleaned up the area. Does anyone know when they operate?

by Metalrailz

That looks like the switcher from the Constable Hook Road area of Bayonne. If it is the one I am thinking about, it used to switch the cars out of ITT and the refineries. I think the color was a dull red/burgandy??

by wis bang

Metalrailz wrote:That looks like the switcher from the Constable Hook Road area of Bayonne. If it is the one I am thinking about, it used to switch the cars out of ITT and the refineries. I think the color was a dull red/burgandy??
I used to see it inside IMTT labeled Bayonne Terminal RR

by BigDell

I chastise myself for not noting the street name. I’m usually pretty good about things like that.
I was in the vicinity of 440/NJTurnpike in that Bayonne/Jersey City area. I spotted a sign that said “Waterfront Observation Area”. I saw there was a large passenger cruise ship docked out that way and I am always curious to see various views into the NY harbor, so I followed the signs. As I approached the area where the ship was, I spotted lots of tracks. Suddenly, there it was on my left, the sun shining perfectly on the scene in a pure Kodachrome moment. It was when I heard the choir of angels sing “Ahhhhhhh!” that I knew it was time to pull over and take photos. What a JOY in 2004 to see an older engine in NJ with a nice coat of paint in something other than a CSX/NS/CR paint scheme. The engine and caboose were located within a fenced area with gates that were easy enough to reach the camera through for photos. It was on the road leading to the “Waterfront Observation Area” – on my left was the engine, on my right was the dock area where they had parked the cruise ship. Next to the fenced area where the engine was there is a little trailer which serves food. I think it said “John and Lulu’s Diner” (one of the names was definitely Lulu). Something along those lines. A little further down the road were a couple strings of covered hoppers. A good number of them. Then finally you hit the docks and a rather nice view into the harbor. So I’m not exactly sure what road I was on, but it wasn’t far from the Turnpike entrance on the extension. The trackage in the area seemed to be in pretty good shape and I’m sure it’s well-maintained. Would love to see the engine in operation…. I wonder when they run?
BigDell

by Ken W2KB

BigDell,

Then that was the Port Jersey; there is an observation place at the east end of the filled in area of Port Jersey. IMTT location is in Bayonne about 1-1/2 miles south of there, off East 22nd Street, and the RR is not accessible to the public as far as I know.

by Lackawanna484

I'll agree with Port Jersey as the red and white switcher. If you follow the "truck route to Port Jersey" off exit 14A of the NJTPK, it will lead you directly to the engine enclosure. They used to operate most mornings.

The East Jersey Terminal down in Bayonne is the one with the burgundy switcher and the black with yellow stripes 44T unit. Switches off Constable Hook Road and Barbers Hook Road. Many refineries, fuel pads, barge loadings, tanker trucks. Your everyday, run of the mill high value terrorist target.

I was intercepted there a few months ago. Stopped my car when I saw the switcher. Security (van, two guys, heat) was there within 90 seconds. Very efficient, they were OK, gave them ID, I took my pix and was out of there. Expect to be stopped
  by Pennsyjohn

If the white band was a dove grey, it would be exactly the RRRR color scheme. Anybody know about where the engine is now, or how to contact the owners of the line?

Many thanks.
John
  by Sir Ray

Pennsyjohn wrote:If the white band was a dove grey, it would be exactly the RRRR color scheme. Anybody know about where the engine is now, or how to contact the owners of the line?
Many thanks.
John
Port Jersey RR?
Yes, here you go:

http://www.pjrr.com/

Contact Info, Map, Customers, and everything except pictures

BTW, in the photo-map on the bottom http://www.pjrr.com/maps.htm, where the yellow lines converge directly below the building labeled "1" is were the terminal is (and where the photo in the OP was taken)

by BigDell

I was intercepted there a few months ago. Stopped my car when I saw the switcher. Security (van, two guys, heat) was there within 90 seconds. Very efficient, they were OK, gave them ID, I took my pix and was out of there. Expect to be stoppe
Seriously???
that is frightening....
I wasn't approached and I was practically through the fence...
Maybe because it was a Sunday....
BigDell

by Lackawanna484

BigDell wrote:
I was intercepted there a few months ago. Stopped my car when I saw the switcher. Security (van, two guys, heat) was there within 90 seconds. Very efficient, they were OK, gave them ID, I took my pix and was out of there. Expect to be stoppe
Seriously???
that is frightening....
I wasn't approached and I was practically through the fence...
Maybe because it was a Sunday....
BigDell
---------------------

Could be, or maybe you were lucky.

Either way, I'm pleased that security was on the job in an area that would be on anybody's list of high value terrorist targets. Whole place is laced with pipes, tanks of who knows what, and lots of no smoking signs.

by Ken W2KB

There is a history of boxcars having their contents stolen in Jersey City which may account for the security.