Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by LI Loco

I was on it. I believe it took place in June 2000 on one of the hottest and muggiest days of the year. It was organized by the New York Connecting RR Society.

We ran out of Fresh Pond Yard down to Bay Ridge. The coach had no power - no a/c, no lights. This meant running through the East New York tunnel in darkness. With no ventilation and a crowded train it was a miracle nobody passed out (at least that I'm aware of).

Along the way we stopped for at least four run-bys. Or should I say fresh air stops. :) Although on-board conditions were the worst of any train trip I have ever been on, I am glad I went for having had the opportunity to ride over this rare (and fascinating) stretch of track.

by Retroboy

im guessing that it was the last fan trip around here?
  by BMT

'Last fan trip around here?' I notice you're in Smithtown. I assume you're refering to a REGIONAL fantrip. There might have been some ERA-sponsored fan trip on old LIRR equipment, over any of the active, passenger routes, but I couldn't give you any dates. I know they did them years ago.

But the Bay Ridge trip in 2000 was the last time a fan trip was done over that particular branch. I survived it by being lucky enough to have ridden in the caboose (no a.c., but LOTS of room!). :D