• Bay Head yard severely altered

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Tri-State Tom

Visited Bay Head on Saturday....

While the new pedastal track seems complete ( occupied by a beat-up looking F40 - maybe one of the ex-Amtrak units ? ), there are STILL 2 adjacent yard tracks missing while contractor's equipment junk clutters the immediate area.

There are 2 large cranes working on/excavating something back behind the yard office building near where those tank cars and ancient box cares resided for decades. This work has caused the track nearest the yard office building to be OOS.

In sum, Bay Head Yard remains/continues as a construction zone with this ridiculously lengthy 'project' that is now into it's 15th month !!!

by nick11a

Tri-State Tom wrote:Visited Bay Head on Saturday....

While the new pedastal track seems complete ( occupied by a beat-up looking F40 - maybe one of the ex-Amtrak units ? ), there are STILL 2 adjacent yard tracks missing while contractor's equipment junk clutters the immediate area.

There are 2 large cranes working on/excavating something back behind the yard office building near where those tank cars and ancient box cares resided for decades. This work has caused the track nearest the yard office building to be OOS.

In sum, Bay Head Yard remains/continues as a construction zone with this ridiculously lengthy 'project' that is now into it's 15th month !!!
I doubt it is one of the ex-Amtrak F40s. The only thing they seem to be good for lately is just lounging around the MMC, blowing oil over themselves and guzzling up money.

by OCtrainguy

"There are 2 large cranes working on/excavating something back behind the yard office building near where those tank cars and ancient box cares resided for decades. This work has caused the track nearest the yard office building to be OOS. "

I was just there this morning. They are still working behind the yard office building. The two cranes are still there. There is a GP40 type engine on the adjacent track (couldn't read the number) and dump tracks were rolling into and out of the yard.

Would still love to see a work train though....

by Tri-State Tom

Yesterday here....month 17....err 18....and counting !

Pedastal track still done ( hahaha ) but no F40....contractor's stuff STILL around !

Looks like this work caused the loss of 1 yard storage track.

Across the way, a blockhouse type building ( no windows & about 2 stories high ) has gone up basically on the site where those 2 old tankers and 2 boxes were staticly spotted for years on a marooned siding. All of 3 WORKERS observed at work on the roof ! The 2 large cranes still on site....just sitting there. Anyone have a clue what this is ?

The 3 yard tracks closest to the crew building and this new blockhouse and obviously the outbound lead track, are OOS....and have been for weeks judging by the accumulated rust.

I wonder if NJT ever heard of 'penalty clauses' in contracts ???

by sixty-six

what exactly are they building in bayhead? a whatchamacalit?

by Ken W2KB

Sounds like it hasn't changed much since last October when my passenger took this photo:

by OCtrainguy

I was recently at the parking lot and took a look at the yard. It looks like the pedestal track work has been completed and the light posts along the storage tracks are up. Looks like the exterior of the building behind the office is done.

However, they were still a large number of dump trucks coming into and going out of the yard. From what I could tell, they were heading toward the loop. Don't know what they're doing there. Lots of activity still going on there.

by JLo

Dump trucks? Sounds like NJT maybe removing tainted dirt? IIRC, that was something they agreed to do a while ago.

by Tri-State Tom

Visited here yesterday for the first time since late last Summer....and wish I didn't !

STILL a large crane parked behind the crew quarters building. The once mystery under construction building behind the crew building looks done....and appears it's some sorta power station.

STILL some contractors equipment lying about - including a large ditch-digger - over where the new pedastal track has been built.

The sand dome has been relocated from adjacent to the crew building to back into the yard near this new pedastal track.

But all this 'news' PALES in comparison to the new yard 'lighting'....

Picture the grey illuminum light poles in the vast parking lots at any large shopping mall that you frequent....THAT is what is now Bay Head yard !! IMO, they're HIDEOUS looking....as near as could tell about 35-40 of 'em stuck all over the ENTIRE yard complex....some with short extended arms and an equal number with long extended arms....all overhanging the yard tracks. ABSOLUTELY has ruined the appearance of the area....unless you like a 'mall look' to a one-time 'railroad yard' !

by Eric Kreszl

What's the status on the Manasquan River Draw Bridge? The last time I looked at it there are 2 tracks on the draw BUT trains still only use the one track to cross the bridge which I don't understand.

Eric

by NY&LB

Eric,

the bridge was single tracked about 15-20 years ago. The reason is that the bridge was in pretty bad shape and they did not spend the money necessary to bring it back into "prime" condition, the single track insures that there are NEVER two trains on the bridge at the same time!
  by E. Seven

Tri-State Tom, I agree with your take on the new look of Bay Head yard. I went there over the Christmas holiday. You used the words "mall parking lot." I thought of it as the "airport parking lot" look. Same difference.

Here's a photo if you'd like to have a look.

community.webshots.com/photo/519486564/2231344740079463480UvJIqi

by JLo

the bridge was single tracked about 15-20 years ago. The reason is that the bridge was in pretty bad shape and they did not spend the money necessary to bring it back into "prime" condition, the single track insures that there are NEVER two trains on the bridge at the same time!
The bridge was actually single-tracked more than 30 years ago. At the time, NJDOT was pushing for elimination of the line south of Asbury Park, so that it could eliminate Brielle and Shark River draws. The entire bridge is slated for replacement as it is well beyond its useful life, but I doubt we'll see that for another 35 years.

by TOMSTV

Back in around 1965,they tried to sail a ferry boat,that was way too wide,through the railroad bridge.
That was the "Ferry Boat" Resturant
at the Brielle dockside.They got the ferry though the bridge,but only after shaving down the sides, untill it fit through.I think that was one of the reasons the bridge was never the same,as the Ferry damaged the bridge,tring to fit through the first time.I think the Ferry was one of the CNJ'S,the CRANFORD,witch years later they sank at sea.

by Ken W2KB

TOMSTV wrote:Back in around 1965,they tried to sail a ferry boat,that was way too wide,through the railroad bridge.
That was the "Ferry Boat" Resturant
at the Brielle dockside.They got the ferry though the bridge,but only after shaving down the sides, untill it fit through.I think that was one of the reasons the bridge was never the same,as the Ferry damaged the bridge,tring to fit through the first time.I think the Ferry was one of the CNJ'S,the CRANFORD,witch years later they sank at sea.
It was the CNJ Cranford and the hull only was sunk in about 60 feet of water off the inlet. The superstructure was removed before it was moved. Too bad. It was a good restaurant, but the value of the adjoining land as homesites overtook the value as a restaurant and parking lot.