• Bad place for an air conditioning unit?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by DutchRailnut

Its not in front of control stand and since locomotive is not part of railroad but a piece of machinery in a industry there is no rules.
FRA rules only govern outside that derail.

by uhaul

Okay, now I am confused. All locomotives I have seen have the person operating the control stand looking out the window blocked by the air conditioning unit.
I did not realize that locomotive was outside FRA regulation.
Last edited by uhaul on Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by pablo

Terry owes me fifty dollars...

Dave Becker

by DutchRailnut

The only window in front of engineer is left window, The one's over nose do nothing other than let light in the joint.

by Steve F45

i tried leaving a comment with the pic "You know your a redneck...."

by Noel Weaver

There are still some high nose engines around that don't even have
windows in that part of the cab.
Noel Weaver

by MEC407

And that's a Friedrich air conditioner, no less... those things are expensive! Two or three times what you'd pay for a comparable GE/Whirlpool/Maytag/Frigidaire/etc. And they're the only manufacturer of window air conditioners still made in the USA. All those "American" brands I mentioned above are now made in China.

"Buying American" ain't what it used to be...

by GN 599

Noel Weaver wrote:There are still some high nose engines around that don't even have
windows in that part of the cab.
Noel Weaver
My thoughts exactly. Besides that when you are at the throttle you dont see anything out of that window anyways.

by Plate F

However, I think it makes it hard to view the mirror that extends off of the left side of the platform!

by DutchRailnut

I don't think thats a mirror, no way to adjust it, and in wrong location even if there was no airco.

by scharnhorst

I would not be suprised if this unit is set up to run on Remote Control leaveing the crew to sit in the cab on brakes and lunches??

by MEC407

I have seen window air conditioners installed like that in EMDs, too. One was an old chop-nosed Geep. Can't remember the railroad or location, unfortunately.

It does look funny but I'm sure it's by far the least expensive way to add air conditioning to older units.

by slchub

I've worked a few 40's and 45's in Vegas at Arden and Valley and wished I'd had an A/C unit like that. While switching I've never looked out that window anyhow.

by The Man

That is a side view mirror, They had a C-424 that had the same treatment.. Those guys can sure beat a unit up! The 424 not only had the AC unit and mirror on it but they took one of the pistons out and pluged the oil outlet on the crank and RAN it that way!!! It must be nice to not have to worry about the FRA comming and beating you up over that crap.

JJ-