• Bad news regarding the Type #8

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by apodino

And Breda wonders why Siemens got the new Blue Line contract even though Breda underbid Siemens. Breda had a great chance to really shine through and become a major player in the US with light rail, instead they wouldn't help the T fix the problem, and forced the T to use other subcontractors, even while delivering an inferior product. Thus you can be assured Breda won't be winning many more US contracts after this one.

BTW, I hear Siemens makes a good LRV. Why not give them a chance, or even go back to Kinki-Shayro, who we know is a great company?

I just hope and pray that the T doesn't go through the same thing with the new Siemens Blue Line cars, considering all the challenges of that line, with the smaller specs, and the like. But something tells me they won't, as this is their first US heavy rail contract, and they are very good business people so they want to make sure that it isn't the last.

by AEM7AC920

I think it would be safe to say that it's highly unlikely that the same thing happens with the blue line cars. I'm sure the T has learned a lesson and the cars are going to be put thorugh extensive testing. We can't afford any derailments on the blue line especially in the loops.

by BC Eagle

AEM7AC920 wrote:I think it would be safe to say that it's highly unlikely that the same thing happens with the blue line cars. I'm sure the T has learned a lesson and the cars are going to be put thorugh extensive testing. We can't afford any derailments on the blue line especially in the loops.
The T, learn a lesson? :wink:

by octr202

BC Eagle wrote:
AEM7AC920 wrote:I think it would be safe to say that it's highly unlikely that the same thing happens with the blue line cars. I'm sure the T has learned a lesson and the cars are going to be put thorugh extensive testing. We can't afford any derailments on the blue line especially in the loops.
No kidding...one would have thought that the Boeing order would have shown the perils of unproven designs from less than ideal bidders....

by efin98

octr202 wrote:
BC Eagle wrote:
No kidding...one would have thought that the Boeing order would have shown the perils of unproven designs from less than ideal bidders....
ALL T designs are unproven designs, everything has to be conformed to Boston's unique standards. It's the less than ideal bidders that are the ones the T should avoid...There's a reason Skoda, Bombardier, Siemans, and Kinki-Sharyo were chosen for the newest cars on all of the other LRV systems out there. Amazing that only one has had problems with all of the other makes besides Breda and unles I am mistaken it is due to red tape and not due to the cars themselves...

by BC Eagle

efin98 wrote: ALL T designs are unproven designs, everything has to be conformed to Boston's unique standards. It's the less than ideal bidders that are the ones the T should avoid...There's a reason Skoda, Bombardier, Siemans, and Kinki-Sharyo were chosen for the newest cars on all of the other LRV systems out there. Amazing that only one has had problems with all of the other makes besides Breda and unles I am mistaken it is due to red tape and not due to the cars themselves...
Which is what makes it more amazing that the T was stupid enough to go with Breda. You'd think after such success with Kinki-Sharyo, they would play it safe to guarantee another successful model.

by Pete

BC Eagle wrote:Which is what makes it more amazing that the T was stupid enough to go with Breda. You'd think after such success with Kinki-Sharyo, they would play it safe to guarantee another successful model.
The T doesn't have the leeway to just hand off contracts to its favorite company. It has to follow an established bidding procedure. Breda submitted a qualifying bid, which means the T has to look at it objectively. No one would expect that a large rail vehicle manufacturer with vehicles in place in a variety of markets would blow it like this. I think the problem lies at least in part with there being no prototype to test, but since the T's operating characteristics require special designs, as has been noted, there probably wasn't one available. Still, next time I think they'll find a way to get one for testing first.

by Xplorer2000

Robert Paniagua wrote:The article also said that they may turn to Kinki-Sharyo to do the M8's. However, another possible tram manufacturer that could build them would be CKD Praha and the "Tatras" model in this link.
Aren't the Tatra's the cars Portland Oregon's Light rail line uses( The street car, not the haevy rail line)???
Sadly, someone should have caught this earlier. Too Bad. My brother is handicapped, and those cars could have helped him get around the city a lot better.[/u]

by Robert Paniagua

Sadly, someone should have caught this earlier. Too Bad. My brother is handicapped, and those cars could have helped him get around the city a lot better.

I feel that they should the Tatra or Kassel models as well. Or maybe install wheelchair lifts on the M7s although that's been eliminated already, even though IMHO they would work, rather than that complicated platform they have at stations.

by fm535

I was on Breda's website to see if they had any press releases or news on this situation. They still have the specifications of the T-8 posted, but the description section has been totally cleared out. There are no news-press releases on the vehicle at all, and it is the only product in their inventory that has no description.