• Bachmann Pullmans

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

by cbaker

I'm interested in overhauling my Bachmann HO-scale Pullmans to represent those that operated in LVRR trains and I have a few questions.

Were the cars always painted LV red or were they Pullman green at some time?

On what routes/trains would these types of heavyweight Pullmans (8-1-2) been regularly used?

In what era were these cars in use on the LV?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide me.
  by CAR_FLOATER

Hi, cbaker.......

Lets see if I can help......First question is, do you have a copy of "The Handsomest Trains In The World" by Greenberg, Kramer and Gleichmann?
The pictures are in b&w, but the info in there covers the prime of LV passenger service. From a cursory look in the book, the LV Pullmans "looked" Cornell Red, but like I said, it's a b&w picture, so it's anyones best guess. A mention is made of a Pullman or Pullmans streamlined and repainted in the John Wilkes scheme.
Also, have you looked in any of the Morning Sun books? There may be something, I don't know.

Second, what era are you interested in and/or modeling? I would think it would make a diference, but I'm a freight guy, so what do I know! LOL!
I do have consistes for train 7, 8, 28 and 29 from 1960 if you'd like them.
Also, check out Ed Schaller's Lehigh Valley modelers website at lvrrmodeler.net, he may have some passenger consist info from earlier years.

Hope this helps, I'm sure there are people in this forum who can help, too.

Also, you may want to try the Anthracite Yahoo! group page.

Good luck,

Car Floater
M.P. 28 on the NY Division

by valleypup

Branchline just released a 8-2-1 Pullman in the Lake series painted Cornell red
  by JJSmith

I was told that the Bachmann cars were identical to the 10-1-2- Sceninc cars of the LV. This is what I have learned so far about the LV sleeper operations.

First of all take a look a the "Pullman Project" on the Internet. There you can download an Excel file on all the Pullman cars. You can sort by Deposition 2 and look for the LV cars. According to this document the LV purchased the sleepers betwenn 1920 and 1943. A total of 14 were operated. All the cars were sold between 1962 and 1965. All the sleepers were painted Pullman Green until 1951-1953. during these years the cars were gradually painted into Cornell Red.

According to a 1952 consist list, 10-1-2 sleepers were operated on trains 7, 11, 4, and 8.

According to a 1941 consist list, sleepers were operated on trains 4, 7, 8, and 15/17.

by scottychaos

generally, LV passenger cars were pullman green with gold lettering until 1939.

No LV passenger cars were in Cornell red before 1939..it was all pullman green until then.

In 1939 the Asa Packer scheme was introduced for that train..
the Orange & Black Asa Packer scheme..
first departure from the pullman green.
the Asa PAcker was pulled by semi-streamlined Pacifics.

In 1939 the new scheme for the John Wilkes & Black Diamond was introduced..
This was the first use of Cornell Red on LV passenger cars..
These trains were pulled by the 5 streamlined pacifics specially designed for the 2 trains..
the scheme was red, black & white:
http://www.mrmuffinstrains.com/TrainPic ... es%202.jpg

not ALL LV passenger cars were painted in these new 1939 schemes however..all the cars on the "lesser trains" remained in Pullman Green.

sometime between 1939 and 1948, LV passenger cars began recieving solid cornell red. There was very little upkeep during the war years, and it seems cars got painted solid red if they needed painting, rather than upkeep the complicated scheme. :(
There is a photo on page 92 of "LV in color, volume II" that shows a train with a mix of Pullman green and solid red cars. 1947.

When the Alco PA's arrived in 1948, LV passenger trains wore solid cornell red to match the PA's..

some Pullman green cars lasted possibly all the way to 1948 and the arrival of the PAs..there is a color photo from 1947 showing green cars.

The special 1939 editions of the B.D, J.W, and A.P. schemes probably didnt last beyond WWII..and so were a very short-lived schemes.
The war years were basically when most cars began to revieve solid red.

EVERY color photo I have seen of a LV passenger trains pulled by PAs has all solid red cars.

so basically there are 3 eras of LV passenger schemes:

before 1939 - all pullman green with gold lettering.

1939 to 1948 - the 1939 John Wilkes & Black Diamond scheme, and Asa Packer scheme.
Also during this era, Green cars still remain, and many cars start to recieve solid red.

1948 to end of passenger service - (Alco PA era) solid Cornell Red.

Scot