• Bachmann Brill trolley issues?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by NellsChoo

Hi all

Has anyone had problems with the Bachmann Brill trolleys on N scale? I have been trying to find one or two, and got a pair on Ebay. Neither run! Their lights come on, but other than one ot two jerky movements, they just sit on mt track!

I know I am new at running model trains, but the seller said they were new. I tend to wonder... I have an email into him asking for an explaination.

I often see these trolleys on Ebay in non-running condition. Does anyone know why this is so? Are the motors cheap? What can I, a novice, do to repair them? I see that Bachmann's site has a form requesting repairs and service.

Jonelle

by Otto Vondrak

First thing is that Bachmann's train-set quality stuff sucks. Second, it sucks. I've had experience with both the N and HO trolleys- run them long enough and the motors simply burn out.

-otto-

by NellsChoo

Is there any way to convert the motors? Swap them from something else?
Does anyone else make an N scale trolley?

by Benjamin Maggi

About a month ago, I asked this very question on the Model Railroader forum, and received responses similar to Otto's. They DID suggest using Kato spud units to repower them, which would add to the cost. However, since there are very few N scale trolleys out there it is the only way. I will find the link to the Kato spud units and post it. Pretty much, though, it is this or nothing :(

by Otto Vondrak

There are other N-scale trolleys available- check the Walther's web site for a start. Some are available as craftsman kits you have to power yourself.

-otto-

by NellsChoo

Otto Vondrak wrote:There are other N-scale trolleys available- check the Walther's web site for a start. Some are available as craftsman kits you have to power yourself.

-otto-
In N, only Bachmann showed up... :( I did find some aftermarket bodies, but they are a bit crude and also require Bachmann chassis.

by Benjamin Maggi

As promised, here are the Kato links I promised. The first is to the Kato website. Scroll down a little and you can see some chassis units that can be used to repower trolleys. Figure that, a Kato quality trolley! I cannot read the site, though, as it is in Japanese. The second link is to a site that shows how different modelers have used these chassis to repower trolleys, cabooses, etc.

Hope this helps. Enjoy!

http://www.katomodels.com/product/nmi/s ... t2_e.shtml

http://www.teamsavage.com/ncat/Kato_shorty_B.html