Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Otto Vondrak

I always thought 750 was earmarked for preservation... or maybe that was just wishful thinking!! I hate to see classic Geeps go under the knife, but if it makes sense for MN operations, then so be it. It's a business, not a rail museum (though, wouldn't we like it the other way around?)

-otto-

by octr202

Nasadowsk wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Railpower or the FEDs are paying for a good chunk of the conversion. RP did their first few in house and sent them around. I don't think anyone funded them for it initially.

Given the emissions advantages, the fuel savings, and advantages of not firing up a diesel in GCT/park ave tunnels, why not?

In any case - I doubt MN will be seriously short of power if these things flop - and it's not like spare diesel locomotives are THAT hard to find...
Also, MNRR, as the recipient of the test units, might be expected to provide a match to any grants, if they are what's funding this. They could have put up the locomotives to be converted in lieu of paying cash towards the program.

by DutchRailnut

The Green goats won't be experimental, there are over 30 Green Goats in service nation wide, and many more on order.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2004/11 ... oats_.html

by Maybrook fan

I am just asking because I don't know (so don't rip me apart). Could an FL-9 or F-10 be uded for this project ??
They are gonna dump them anyway and they aren't as rare as Metro North Geeps.

by DutchRailnut

Not likely due to type of trucks used and F units do not have frames like freight locomotives and can not be modified to switcher configurations.
Its to bad the Niagara RR E10b's were not used for this project, they had massive thick 2" thick floors and frames, a center cab , trucks with big GE traction motors. Trucks already had third rail shoes, and plenty of room in both the cab and the two hoods for anything they wanted.

by Alcochaser

Here is an idea.... Why not use the forward B trucks off the FL9. They will mount to the GP series units as they both have standard EMD truck mounts. And they will accept third rail shoes.

by Penn Central

DutchRailnut wrote:Not likely due to type of trucks used and F units do not have frames like freight locomotives and can not be modified to switcher configurations.
Its to bad the Niagara RR E10b's were not used for this project, they had massive thick 2" thick floors and frames, a center cab , trucks with big GE traction motors. Trucks already had third rail shoes, and plenty of room in both the cab and the two hoods for anything they wanted.
I always liked the visibility on the E10s. The only problem with converting them would be the lack of space for the batteries. The Green Goat conversion would strip away everything above the frame of the GP-8(9) and replace it with smaller compartments for the batteries and the charging generator. As Dutch has said, MN could benefit even more with a third rail charging option. The diesel would not be needed in GCT, or Harmon. It would be clean and quiet.

The downside would be the cost of battery replacement every ten years. The manufacturer claims that is offset by 80% fuel savings. When nostalgia is put aside, this is great news for cleaner air and a quiet environment. If it works on the GP-8, maybe the GP-35s will be next.

by DutchRailnut

MNCR might be better off buying some scrap GE B23-7's or so.
The Blomberg M truck is not very good to convert to Third rail pickups.
remember the first two FL-9's, they got rid off the Blombergs fast and put Flexicoil under them.
The GE units if bought with AAR trucks can be fairly easy modified to third rail because the Equilizer moves same as a third rail beam on a Flexicoil.
The replacement of batteries every 10 years is based on how heavy the goat is used anf how well the batteries are maintained, but same holds true for any diesel. There is not one diesel on MNCR that runs around with same engine block and or generator.