• B725

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by CSX Conductor

Pyroechidna1 wrote:B725 had about 65 cars on it this morning by my count. Whoever is receiving all of those AEX and GNWR hoppers seems to be doing a brisk business lately. I'm going to point the finger at Saint-Gobain in Milford, but that's a complete guess. Locomotives were 6222, 6221, 6233, and 6220. I have lots of pictures (of variable quality) of this and other recent B725s, if anyone ever needs them.
Those covered hoppers come from the Mass Coastal @ Dean Street in Taunton. It's salt whereas the cars for Saint Gobain are industrial sand for making glass bottles. You'll notice thta the sand cars for Taunton are mostly GNWR & AEX cars whereas the Saint Gobain cars are predominantly WW (Winchester & Western). Also, B725 brings the loads for Saint Gobain to Walpole, then B736 services Saint Gobain. After returning to Walpole, the empties go east to Readville on B732 and then go up to Framingham on B731. :wink:
  by CSX Conductor

F40, perhaps look on NERAIL for photos from Bob Horgan. He's often taking pics in Framingham on weekends as well as taking pictures of the Bay Colony @ Medfield Jct. and CSXT locals B723 & B735 on the Framingham Secondary.
  by Pyroechidna1

Thanks CSX Conductor, you've enlightened my world again. :-D

I'll post the pics to NERAIL as soon as I can-it's giving me trouble about my email provider at the moment.
  by pharmerphil54

Those stubbey covered hoppers from Gnwr are used for road salt and are unloaded at Dean St. in Taunton by the Mass Coastal.
  by conrail6479

the GNWR covered hoppers are on the rochester & southern and go to the salt mine. they also go from brooks ave yard to rochester yard.
  by Pyroechidna1

Howdy folks,

Armed with CSX Conductor's tip-off about the Saint-Gobain loads coming south at night but not back in the morning, I staked out B725 these past two nights. On Sunday night, lo and behold, a yellow Winchester & Western hopper was the first car. The train in total was a hefty 88 cars long. Tonight (Monday) the train had Medfield Junction boxes, as well as a pair of TTJX flatcars-one was loaded with what looked like rebar, while the other was loaded with telephone poles. As always, bonus points for anyone who knows their destination.

Best regards,
Mike G
  by CSX Conductor

Pyroechidna1 wrote:Tonight (Monday) the train had Medfield Junction boxes, as well as a pair of TTJX flatcars-one was loaded with what looked like rebar, while the other was loaded with telephone poles. As always, bonus points for anyone who knows their destination.
More than likely Weir Yard in Taunton, which is right down the street from the Mass Coastal interchange @ Dean Street. :wink:
  by QB 52.32

That re-bar is going to Middleboro on the Mass Coastal.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

what time is B725 usually through the Walpole station on the return trip? Do they wait for the Franklin Line outbound #703?
  by CSX Conductor

Usually after the first inbound, sometimes before....but for the most part they used to wait for the first inbound.