• B&M Pullman car coming to New England from the west?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by gprimr1

I saw both of these cars sitting just outside LAUPT. They looked ready to go in a consist with a few other private cars.
  by snowskier

Anyone know if the Salisbury Beach is on schedule for this weekend or have the floods in the midwest have slowed things down?
  by John_Perkowski

Can anyone tell me if this is a Plan 4099 6-6-4 car (the cars built in 1942 or so)? UP and others used the American prefix, Santa Fe used the Valley prefix...

OR

Is this a Plan 4197 (or thereabouts) car from the 1950s, with S type bedrooms in the center, roomettes to the vestibule, and sections to the blind end? UP/Wabash named these with the National prefix, C&EI/L&N named these with the Pine suffix.

6-6-4 cars are my favorite Pullmans in the world, I rode them as a youth on the City of Saint Louis.

Sorta surprising Pullman Adventures hasn't really gotten pictures and such on Salisbury Beach yet.

TIA
  by snowskier

John, Check out this website. http://www.trainweb.org/carl/SalisburyBeach/ It has some info and a couple of outside pics. It's a bit dated as it talks about the car 'will be Amtrak compatible'. This site has more info - http://www.salisburybeachrailtravel.com/index.html and allso has links to a floor plan and more pics.
  by John_Perkowski

Thanks. It's something in the middle. The C&EI/L&N "Pine" series Pullmans, as well as Union Pacific's "National" series Pullmans, all had Pullman-Standard's 1950s design S-Type double bedrooms, with sink and mirrors in the room. All 4 DBR had BL sofas. The annex was for the toilet only.

These cars have BL-BC design DBR. Now that I have something, I'll go check Tom Madden's Pullman Project for more details. She is a Plan 4194 car, Lot 6942, outshopped 9 December 1954. She was immediately placed "Lease to Purchase" to the B&M, and withdrawn from Pullman lease on 23 June 1966.

Her lot included 17 cars, 4 to the B&M, 2 to the BAR, and 11 to the New Haven.
  by jhdeasy

John_Perkowski wrote:She is a Plan 4194 car, Lot 6942, outshopped 9 December 1954. She was immediately placed "Lease to Purchase" to the B&M, and withdrawn from Pullman lease on 23 June 1966.

Her lot included 17 cars, 4 to the B&M, 2 to the BAR, and 11 to the New Haven.
John:

Seven of the eleven New Haven 6-6-4 BEACH series sleepers were acquired by LIRR in 1969 for premium fare parlor car service. NANTASKET B, MONUMENT B, BAILEY'S B, GROVE B, MANTUNUCK B, CRESCENT B and ROCKY NECK B. I know I have been onboard GROVE BEACH. For more information and some photos of these cars, please see http://www.dominionrailvoyages.com/jhd/lirr/page1.html and follow the links that lead to those specific cars.

The two BAR cars would have been NORTH TWIN LAKE and SOUTH TWIN LAKE. Both of these were at Kasten Rail Car (now known as Illinois Transit Assembly) in Edwardsville IL about a dozen years ago after Les Kasten acquired them from Via Rail Canada.

I believe these sleeping cars in Pullman Standard Lot 6942 were built using stainless steel over stainless steel construction, rather than the previous stainless steel over carbon steel construction.

Jack Deasy
  by Dick H

The "Salisbury Beach" never made it on the Downeaster to Portland. I was told that some of the passengers who would have been on the Pullman instead rode #683 and #686 to get the mileage. No report on why the Pullman did not make the run.

Dick
  by harleyfiremedic

It may have had something to do with they only had enough folks to run one of the two cars they had planned for the trip. From what I read on the home page for the trip, they were using the car as a "hotel" and maybe that is why they couldn't get it on the Downeaster. Of course this is just a WAG on my part.
Dick H wrote:The "Salisbury Beach" never made it on the Downeaster to Portland. I was told that some of the passengers who would have been on the Pullman instead rode #683 and #686 to get the mileage. No report on why the Pullman did not make the run.

Dick
  by dbperry

I had the chance to talk to the passengers (I think it was the owner) of the Salisbury Beach while the Lake Shore Limited was stopped in Framingham MA going west on 7/6/08. I didn't get a chance to ask about the missed mileage to Portland, but they did say that the reason the "Pacific Sands" was not on the trip was due to not enough seats sold for two coaches.

Dave
  by consist

I saw the Salisbury Beach in South Station...before I ever saw this thread! No camera! Sitting by itself on track 4 or 5, would have been 12:30 PM on the 4th. I was hurrying to my train and couldn't take too long a look.