• Australia - The Iron Boomerang

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by tonymercury

For those who like seeing lines drawn on maps have a look at-

http://www.eastwestlineparks.com.au/

The site makes for an intersting read and note the possible connection to the Darwin Line.

Tony Bailey
  by george matthews

tonymercury wrote:For those who like seeing lines drawn on maps have a look at-

http://www.eastwestlineparks.com.au/

The site makes for an intersting read and note the possible connection to the Darwin Line.

Tony Bailey
But what would it carry? At present I can't see any freight.
(Now, I do have a plan for a carbon absorption industry on the west coast, but even that won't need this line.)
  by David Benton

I cant see why they would rail raw materials all the way across Australia for processing , when it would be alot closer to ship To somewhere like Indonesia with lower labour rates , and presumably laxer enviromental controls .
  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:I cant see why they would rail raw materials all the way across Australia for processing , when it would be alot closer to ship To somewhere like Indonesia with lower labour rates , and presumably laxer enviromental controls .
I am suggesting what might become a major industry on the west coast. It doesn't need an east-west rail line.
Another area where carbon fixing could be encouraged is north Western Australia. Here too is an area of arid desert near an Ocean with potential for solar input. Because it is a developed country Australia would be a good area for an initial research project but in the long run would also be a useful site for seriously large installations (a useful economic replacement for the agriculture of southern Australia, as that area becomes arid, and also for the coal exports which have to be phased out).

Australia is the developed country most likely to be seriously damaged by climate change as almost all of its current economy will be made impossible. The southern agricultural area will wither as the rain belts retreat into the Southern Ocean. The coal exports must cease after coal is banned as a source of energy.
http://www.angelfire.com/mac/egmatthews ... ahara.html
  by tonymercury

The proponents are looking at establishing steel industries at each end with coal moving in one direction and iron ore in the other - remember that all of the mines are several hundred kms from the coast.

The other reason will be the development of other mines along the line - which is currently happening in the NT.

Strange things happen with long distance freight when you have mines and rail - BHP is currently investigating a Uranium processing plant well north of Kalgoorlie where the intention is to truck Uranium Oxide to Kal and rail it either to Adelaide or Darwin, but not Perth! This ispossibly because 80% of the traffic on the Trans goes to Perth and there are many empties coming back