• Auburn Lewiston Questions

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by BM6569

Are there any pictures of where the MEC Rangley Division crossed the grand trunk? I have been trying to follow it but even old maps are hard to read because the land scape had changed so much. I would like to figure out where it went from the cossing by the SLR intermodal yard all the way to the junction with the MEC still being used.
Also, what did the junction look like when the GT Lewiston line crossed the MEC before crossing the bridge to the lewiston station.

One other question, What are the origins of that old box car on that siding by the MEC Lewiston station???? It looks like it has been there for a while. I was trying to figure out how many tracks there were for the station and how many spurs there were in that area? Any help?
Are there any pictures of these sites?
  by wolfmom69

Ok,will try and answer these for you,but hopefully you are familiar with the area.

As far as photos,I would kill to get one of Marstons Corner,in Auburn,by the Junction of Hotel Rd. and Lew. Jct. Road by the L-A Airport,showing the MEC Rangley Branch going UNDER the Portland Lewiston Interurban(1914-1933) hi speed trolley,then going over the Grand Trunk Lewiston Branch.It was theoretically possible to get trains/trolley on all 3 from one spot with a camera! There is a photo in Ed Robinsons "Grand Trunk Photo Album" taken from the Rangley overpass of a derailment below on the Lewiston Branch in the 1930's-40's.

The abutments for the trolley line are still there,behind the church,and some of the abutments for the Rangely Branch crossing the GT Lewiston Branch are right next to Hardscrabble Rd.

From there,the Rangeley Branch is a snowmobile trail-then it went over the Grand Trunk Mailine,about a mile west of Lewiston Jct. Rd. One of the abutments is still there,and if you walk about a mile west from the St. Lawrence Atlantic Engine facility,along their tracks, you can see it.(Don't do this in deer hunting season!!!).

There was NO physical junction between the Maine Central Rangely Branch or the Grand Trunk at these 2 overpasses. They did come together at a diamond crossing and interchange yard in Mechanic Falls(until 1952).

Also,NO physical connection where the Maine Central crosses over Grand Trunk Lewiston Branch;just an overpass. Pictures of this in Ed. Robinson's book,and his other book,Grand Trunk #713,which has some more good photos of these places I'm taliking about. Wouldn't walk down there to explore it,pretty rough area.

Finally,the old box car,is used as storage,was the Hall & Knight Hardware Company. That whole area,by the Maine Central Lewiston Station,had many rail users,even in the 1970's,even a piggy back trailer ramp can still be seen. Good photos of this in the books ,"Maine Central in Color" Vols. 1 & 2.

Hope this helps a tad.
Bud

by BM6569

Thanks
That does help.
Whats the name of that grand trunk book? Are there any others? I have one of them but can't remember the name off hand.
Did the Grand trunk make stops at the Norway station?
I'll have to pick up those MEC books too.

by SLR 393

Part of the GT track is still in place, from Safe HAndling down to the skate park, which is just before the street bridge where the park and bridge over the river are.

In case you have not been there, you can see the GT line where it drops down quite steeply and ducks under the GRS/MEC mainline.

The nicest but most expensive and hardest to find GT book is "The Grand Trunk in New England" by Jeff Holt. I paid $70 and was happy to do so. There is also a Phil Hastings GT book, "Grand Trunk Heritage". Robertson also did "Grand Trunk Railway Album". Still around at shows, etc., plan on paying $25-30 for a copy. All worth it. The GT Heritage book you can probably still get from RMC/Carstens.

I have a pic of the P&RF enginehouse in Mechanic Falls with a steamer out front, have to find that.

by SLR 393

Oh yeah, if you want pics of Lewiston - George Melvin, Melvin Photos - he has a bunch of prints from the area. Some rare stuff too. He will be at the Auburn show and the West Springfield show, or you can contact him and he will do requests.