• Atlas N code 55 track issues?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by NellsChoo

Hi all

I am hoping someday to build my first N scale layout, and in the meantime am collecting engines and rolling stock. I was hoping to use Atlas code 55 track, but keep reading about the wheel flanges of older engines and rolling stock not working with it.

I like the look of the code 55, so where can I find out more info on this issue? I can only find a sentance or two.

JD
  by jmp883

Atlas' website should be the best place for additional information on the track. Also, ask around your local hobbyshop. I'm sure someone there, either staff or customer, can help answer any questions you have about the track. I've seen it at my hobbyshop and I like what I've seen. Unfortunately my layout is too complete to warrant changing over.

As for wheel flange issues I believe most locomotives produced in the last 5 or 6 years will be able to handle the smaller rail. Micro-Trains rolling stock are now packaged with standard and fine-scale wheelsets so if you use MT rolling stock you should have no problems there. Micro-Trains wheelsets also fit most other brands of rolling stock.

Good luck with your layout. Check the link to my layout, maybe it might help inspire you. I was an HO-scaler for years until I moved to an apartment. I had no layout in those apartment years. I then bought a small house with no basement or attic about 11 years ago. 10 years ago I bought several N-scale track plan books and a 32x60 hollow-core door and the rest was history!

Joe P :-D

by NellsChoo

I finally put together some track the other day. I have a small piece of plywood up in the attic, and put the Code 55 flex track I had into it in a big oval. AMI roadbed is interesting to work with as I didn't have to glue anything!

I did everything the wrong way, from using scissors to cut the track, to stripping off way too many ties. But I have an oval. Now I need to connect the power pack and see an engine run!

I can't find any info on the Atlas site that is usefull, unless it is well hidden someplace. I will see how my test oval works with the engines I have, then see if code 80 is a better choice.

Oh, and I like your layout site, Joe P. I have a brother in law we call Joe P. Then there is my brother Joe, father Joe, two grandfather Joe's, etc....

by jmp883

Yeah, I checked the Atlas site too, not much there. I thought they had a page about it. Oh well. Code 80 will not be a bad choice either. In my opinion, anything smaller than Code 100 will always look better.

If you're new to the hobby you may want to check out 2 books from Atlas specifically for N-scalers. The first is 'Introduction To N Scale Model Railroading. It contains basic tracklaying and wiring techniques as well as several basic trackplans. The second book is Nine N-Scale Layouts. This book has several more complex trackplans in it. The trackplans in both books all include full wiring diagrams as well. My layout is a slight modification of one of the layouts in the second book. Also, the Atlas website has free downloadable trackplanning software under the 'RTS Download' header. Kalmbach Publishing also has several N-scale books, I recommend 'N-Scale Model Railroad That Grows'. First off, it is a great first layout. Second, even if you don't build their layout the book is full of great tips for any modeler.

Thanks for the compliments on my layout. Your website is full of some great information.

Joe P :-D

by NellsChoo

I just found a page on the Atlas site with a little info on code 80 and 55 track. Go HERE ---> http://www.atlasrr.com/layoutfaq.htmand scroll down to N

OR, let me try to paste the info HERE:

N TRACK Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I use Atlas N scale track on my layout?

Atlas has been making N scale model railroad track for over 25 years. We are known throughout the world as one of the most prominent track makers in the hobby industry because of our high quality products and incredible performance. Our track and switches are made from injection-molded plastic and nickel silver rail so that you can be sure the layout you will build will be dependable. What's more, Atlas track is surprisingly affordable.

I've decided that I'm going to model in N scale but I'm not sure whether I want to use Atlas' traditional N scale Code 80 track, or the N scale Code 55 track. Can you please describe the differences between these track lines?

N Scale Code 80
Atlas' popular line of N scale Code 80 track is well known for its high quality and durability. With black ties and nickel silver rail, Atlas' N Scale Code 80 Track is sturdy, reliable, and looks great on any layout. The Code 80 line is very extensive and includes the popular Snap-Track®, Snap-Switches, Super-Flex® Track and more.

N Scale Code 55
Atlas' N scale Code 55 track was designed with the scale modeler in mind. Featuring simulated brown ties and a lower rail profile than N scale Code 80 track, Atlas' N scale Code 55 track is quickly becoming a favorite of N scale modelers everywhere. As with all Atlas track products, you can expect durability, flexibility and reliability with the N scale Code 55 track.

I've heard that some rolling stock may not run on Code 55 track. Is this true?

Some older rolling stock may have problems on N scale Code 55 track because of the wheels that do not comply with NMRA standards. You can run your favorite cars on our N scale Code 55 track by simply fitting your existing cars with a low-profile wheel set (Item # 22134) available from Atlas or several other manufacturers.

Where do I start?

The next step is to review the various layouts in our N scale Layout Gallery. Simply choose one and you're ready to go! Or you can download our popular layout planning software FREE! Click here for more details.

Atlas N Scale Track Summary
N Code 80 (Black Ties/Nickel Silver Rail) - Basic Line
N Code 55 (Brown Ties/Nickel Silver Rail) - Modeler's Track