• Atlas B23-7's

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by MR77100

I have read the Atlas catalog, and see that they are releasing B23-7's in HO scale in June. But it appears that they will be releasing them with flexicoil trucks, and not all the roads they have listed had them that way. I know all of Conrail's had AAR type B trucks.

by astrosa

http://www.atlasrr.com/HOLoco/hob237.htm

Atlas has a history of releasing locomotives with different sideframes as appropriate - I believe the U23B had these very same options, and the GE-C units were offered with two differerent variants of six-wheel truck frames. And I think you meant to say "floating bolster" or FB-2 trucks...Flex-i-coils would look rather strange on a B23-7, especially considering they were 8' wheelbase with the exception of the 9-footers used under FL9s.

by MR77100

I thought floating bolster trucks and flexicoil trucks were the same? Well, hopefully Atlas will get the roadnames correct with the proper trucks. I am looking at adding 2 Conrails to my roster.

by astrosa

No...Flex-i-coils were found mainly in two versions. The Flex-i-coil B, with 8' wheelbase, was available as a sort of deluxe option on several EMD SW-series switchers among others. The Flex-i-coil C was the standard truck on EMD's SD-units from the SD7 all the way up to the SD45, though there were some variations in the clasp brakes and brake cylinders. Floating bolster (FB-2) trucks began to appear on U-boats and other four-axle GE units, and continued up to the Dash 8-40B series.

Correct me if wrong, but I believe this info should set you straight.

by RDG 1519

I posted a request to ATLAS a few months back with the same question about AAR "B" trucks and the CONRAIL unit shown with Floating Bolster. ATLAS told me this is artwork only and that the CONRAIL will come with the correct AAR "B" trucks. I have the Trainmaster in CNJ and am absolutely pleased with the sound. This big GE will also be great.

Chris

by TerryC

It would be nice if they were coming out with a high nosed version.

keep asking keep learning