• Assembly Square Orange Line Station Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by jake1966

Anyone know what they are doing to the station and tracks at Assembly?
  by The EGE

For one, they're building out the southern emergency exit into a full enter/exit headhouse. That work is funded by Partners Healthcare as part of their project (the giant building that already has the elevator shafts up) next door. That's a really nice touch - it'll be the only north-of-the river Orange Line station that has enter/exits on both ends.

There's also a punch of minor checklist stuff to do that doesn't affect day to day operations, but needs done for the station to be fully complete long term. Current T practice is to (re)open stations as soon as they're safe and functional, and punch the rest of the items on an as-possible basis with only minor service interruptions. The Fairmount Line stations finished in 2012 and 2013 were at about 95% completion when opened, and 100% took another six months. It's a pretty harmless way to buy earlier operations at a very small operational cost later - it sounds like we'll see 6 months of GC construction work *after* it reopens.
  by Arlington

Mods: please combine this thread with previous Assembly Square Orange Line Station Discussion thread
The EGE wrote:For one, they're building out the southern emergency exit into a full enter/exit headhouse. That work is funded by Partners Healthcare as part of their project (the giant building that already has the elevator shafts up) next door.
Good to hear they're starting on it! You can see the new headhouse at the left edge of this Partners project rendering:
  by FP10

They are having a difficult time debugging the announcements too. Most of the time you get "*high pitched buzz* train is now *crackle* *buzz*", or my favorite at 8am: "the next orange *intense feedback* *crackle*". I live in Assembly, and I can't remember the last time I heard an announcement fully.

Luckily the countdown clocks work, though.