Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by HoboKen bound

Yeah, I heard about it this morning on the radio. Its about flippin' time!!!! I agree that it is long over due and it better be one hell of a station for 91 Mil. Its barely, if at all, any relief for NJ residents who want to go the game. The only NJ people benefiting from this are those from Northern Bergen County who would drive over the Tappan Zee Bridge and take the train from Terrytown. However, that still requries driving and a bridge toll.

by GreatOne2k7

Reverse commuters benefit, now they can get MNR from the (4), (B) and (D) at 161 Street and save money instead of having to go to 125 and pay too much money(peak fares), or having to take long bus rides to get to Marble Hill, Morris Heights, or University Heights (to save money).

Peak commuters 'saving money' would now also have the (4) and (B) as 'cheaper' transfer options instead of only the slow (1) train at Marble Hill (to avoid paying the GCT-125 fare).

The Bronx would now really have a major intermodal transfer center

Elevated [Elevated/Overground Subway]: (4)
Subway [Underground Subway]: (B)(D)
Commuter Rail/Train: Hudson Line MNR
Bus: Bx6, Bx13, Bx1 [at Grand Concourse], Bx1 LIMITED [at Grand Concourse]

by ajp

so it's going to take a total realignment of the tracks including the highbridge yard lead to allow island platforms. there is actually no other place closer for the station (nothing under the 161st bridge).the walk will be ok oncce they finish taking the old YS down to 2 stories and rebuild the parking lots and ball yards on rupert into the new park
and boy i've never seen my tv trucks from this angle (those white boxes under the RUPERT name)_
too bad the NH trains wont run at the times I need to go to work or go home

Remember this is the same location of the subway strike station and the parking structures can be used for a park and ride facility when the team is away or in the winter time

by L'mont

DutchRailnut wrote:Correct only GCT engineers can go to any line in one job.
any Harlem or New Haven line engineers can not be forced to hudson side, not even to Highbridge.
If MNCR were to create jobs like that they would have to pay twice for one shift ;-).

That's so crazy I don't think I can handle that.

Unions.......building America :(

by DutchRailnut

Not really, if one engineer needs to be qualified they all need to be qualified, this is to avoid company playing favorites,.
Now consider the cost of qualifying and keeping qualified 370 engineers on a stretch of railroad only used by a few and not on all days.
New Haven and Harlem engineers other than the junior guys are no longer qualified , so would you disqualify them off their job just so company has to qualify them and never use them ????

by L'mont

Well, to say that providing an important service is going to be held up for a reason like this is crazy. The company and the union are going to have to figure out a way to make it work, becuase it has to work and no one should be paid twice just for spending a mile or two on a different line.

Aren't the AMMO and PMMO guys 3 line qulified? Do they recieve a differential? If so, give some guys with seniority a differential for remaining 3 line qualified. Yes, you shut out the junior guys. That's called seniority, earn it.

by DutchRailnut

Any New york crew(GCT) is qualified on 3 lines, and can go on any line without penalty pay. but a stamford or new haven crew or danbury crew or North white plains crew or Brewster crew is not.
Just because a stadium stop is built does not imply there will be direct service from any of these points.
My understanding is all trains will transfer at 125th street to yankee stadium shuttles (30 m1a's) and the hudson line trains would stop at stadium.
I am qualified on 3 lines but my Danbury job can not be forced to go to Highbridge or North white for that matter.

by L'mont

Well, if that's true (meaning no direct service to or from Harlem and New Haven) than this whole excercise will be a failure becuase of silly bureaucracy. I can take the 4 train and transfer at 125th st. Why would a 92 million dollar facility be worth while. There should be a train or two before and after the games on every line. Local.

by DutchRailnut

You think thats a farce , I believe the MTA is exeding thier authorty to spend 91 milion on a partime station only designed to benefit a private company(sports franchise) I believe mr Steinbrenner should have caught up the majority of this money.
The station won't benefit the general public.

by Otto Vondrak

What if they rename the station "161 Street - The Bronx" and keep it open all the time? Then they could justify the expenditure.

Hey, why are we complaining? Let them built the station. You dont have to use it if you don't want to.

-otto-

by DutchRailnut

The fact is I got to pay for it and don't want to.

by RearOfSignal

DutchRailnut wrote:The fact is I got to pay for it and don't want to.
And I might have to pay for something that you want that I'll never use. It's just the way it works.
DutchRailnut wrote:The station won't benefit the general public.
Yes, you're right people in Staten Island and Brooklyn won't be overly effected by this project. But it will alleviate traffic in and around Yankee Stadium, have you ever tried to get out of there north on I-87 after a Friday night game? Can't do it. At times I have waited for 90 mins just to get out of the parking lot. I would absolutely love to take the MN to the game, much easier and faster.

by Stephen B. Carey

How hard would it be to route a NH line train on to the Hudson line to stop at the new station? Would a reverse move be needed? Also I assume a good deal of track realignment would be needed to get the trains off the NH and onto the Hudson without stopping and reversing the train or tying up traffic.

well anyway a cross platform transfer at 125th st. would still probably be faster than the 4 train. :wink:

by DutchRailnut

it would take a reverse move and a different crew, and add 20 to 25 minutes to the other peoples trip to GCT. meanwhile a transfer at 125 street would take 8 minutes to get to stadium .

by RearOfSignal

Whatever happened to the idea of there being a Yankee Stadium Spur? Too much $$$?