• Arrow III Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by keyboardkat

cruiser939 wrote:
keyboardkat wrote:While we're speculating, why not take a leaf from the LIRR's old playbook and buy some cabless M.U. motor cars with blind ends? Steps and trap doors would not be an issue with these since there would be no cab; and you could get more cars for the same money because not all of them would have to have operating cabs.
Typically, people don't take leaves from playbooks; they take pages.
The word "leaf" and the word "page" are often used interchangeably in English, as in the expression "turn over a new leaf." And it's not unique to English. The German word for leaf, "blatt," is the same as the word for page.
  by Sid Farkus

Awhile back, I saw a photo on here of an Arrow III with the 1.21 gigawatts sticker, but after countless searches cannot find it. Does anybody here know which Arrow has that sticker? Thanks
  by Sid Farkus

Thanks! I was looking all over for that. Maybe someone here knows which particular Arrow has it, but I was really looking for the photo.
  by Jersey_Mike

Shouldn't that be spelled with a J?
  by sixty-six

Jersey_Mike wrote:Shouldn't that be spelled with a J?
"Christopher Lloyd based his performance as Doc Brown on a combination of physicist Albert Einstein and conductor Leopold Stokowski. Brown's pronunciation of gigawatts as "jigowatts", is based on the way a physicist whom Zemeckis and Gale met with for research said the word." -IMDB trivia page for Back to the Future.
  by nick11a

sixty-six wrote:
Jersey_Mike wrote:Shouldn't that be spelled with a J?
"Christopher Lloyd based his performance as Doc Brown on a combination of physicist Albert Einstein and conductor Leopold Stokowski. Brown's pronunciation of gigawatts as "jigowatts", is based on the way a physicist whom Zemeckis and Gale met with for research said the word." -IMDB trivia page for Back to the Future.
I love Stokowski!

I'll save you the trouble:

Thanks for coming in!
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Remembering the "Back To The Future" movies I really got a kick out of seeing that "1.21 Gigowatts" sticker
on an A3 car...I also want to know what car has this unique sticker...

I also thought of the fact that the Arrows are governed to 80mph meaning they can't now get to the DeLorean
"Time Machine" speed of 88mph...

MACTRAXX
  by Jtgshu

They can still go MUCH faster than 80mph! they could reach 88mph if the need arose!

Now a DeLorean reaching 88mph - well that could be more of a challenge these days!

I did see one a few weeks ago, I havne't seen one on the road in a LONG time! It wasn't in great shape, but it was still great to see
  by 25Hz

The are both stainless steel too... It helps with flux field dissipation. ;)
  by R36 Combine Coach

Jtgshu wrote:They can still go MUCH faster than 80mph! they could reach 88mph if the need arose!

Now a DeLorean reaching 88mph - well that could be more of a challenge these days! I did see one a few weeks ago, I havne't seen one on the road in a LONG time! It wasn't in great shape, but it was still great to see
Oddly, the DeLorean speedometers had a max of only 85 mph (then due to USDOT rules).

I though the Arrows could still hit over 80, perhaps on the WAS-NYP Thanksgiving runs.
  by sixty-six

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:They can still go MUCH faster than 80mph! they could reach 88mph if the need arose!

Now a DeLorean reaching 88mph - well that could be more of a challenge these days! I did see one a few weeks ago, I havne't seen one on the road in a LONG time! It wasn't in great shape, but it was still great to see
Oddly, the DeLorean speedometers had a max of only 85 mph (then due to USDOT rules).

I though the Arrows could still hit over 80, perhaps on the WAS-NYP Thanksgiving runs.
Wrong. Only the US DeLoreans had the 85mph speedometers. 140mph speedometers still are available.

http://store.delorean.com/p-7088-speedo ... 40mph.aspx
  by ThirdRail7

R36 Combine Coach wrote:

They are currently restricted to 80. I remember when they ran at 100mph. About 7-8 years ago, they bumped them up to 90mph only to knock them down again.
  by Jtgshu

ThirdRail7 wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:

They are currently restricted to 80. I remember when they ran at 100mph. About 7-8 years ago, they bumped them up to 90mph only to knock them down again.
Yea that was a fun few weeks when they did that....lots of adventures happened, although I think purely coincidental, and not necessarily related to them running at 90mph, but rather inferior imported parts, among other things. I tihnk it lasted maybe 3 weeks, and they were reduced back to 80mph. Although they weren't all pulled from service like they were after the Portal derailment and lined up from Hamilton to Trenton on the 0 and 5...that was a very interesting time as well! Only a few weeks apart, IIRC.

A 4 car comet set on a Trenton Local....i laughed my hind end off when that rolled in and we had to take that down...what are we, Septa? :)
  by 25Hz

Jtgshu wrote:A 4 car comet set on a Trenton Local....i laughed my hind end off when that rolled in and we had to take that down...what are we, Septa? :)
SEPTA would have 2 cars closed.