• Arrow I/Metroliner similarities?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by 7 Train

Here are some very simliar details I began to notice between the Arrow I (Comet I-B) and the Metroliner MU cars:
  • Both were built in 1968-69
  • Both were originally built for the Penn Central
  • Both were orginally built as electric MU cars
  • Both were known for speed back in their younger days—the Metroliners made 160 mph in tests, the Arrow I did over 100 in 1968
  • Both ran as MUs until the late 70s/early 80s before being put out of service for technical issues
  • Both were rebuilt and converted into push-pull cab cars in the 80s and continue to run today
Coincidence or not?

by sixty-six

Coincidence. What's the point of this?

by 7 Train

Something I began noticing.

by blockline4180

What is the difference between 7 train and boxcar??? Whoops, I shouldn't go there!

by glennk419

Weren't the Metro's originally built for the PRR? The 'Central' just happened to come along before they went into revenue service.

by 7 Train

The Metroliner production prototype wore a Keystone instead of a PC logo.

by ApproachMedium

Arrows were built by St Louis car co, and proceeding arrows and the silverliners are a GE product. The metroliners were built by Budd, and shared similarities with the Budd SPV2000.

by sixty-six

Wait! The Arrow I's are like the DL&W MUs!! They ran on rails, carried passengers, and had a pantograph!!

This thread wins the 7 Train seal of pointlessness...seeing as the AI's and Metroliners arent coincidentally related in any way.

by jb9152

jimzim66 wrote:Wait! The Arrow I's are like the DL&W MUs!! They ran on rails, carried passengers, and had a pantograph!!

This thread wins the 7 Train seal of pointlessness...seeing as the AI's and Metroliners arent coincidentally related in any way.
Hang on!! The AIs are also like buses, since they carry passengers, are made of metal, and have seats!!!! Hey! The Metroliners are like buses, too....or AIRLINERS! :wink:

by mountie17

Wow. Yet more garbage. This is like comparing a Conrail MT6 Slug with an NS/N&W RP-E6Y slug. Both were built as six axle road units, by totally different companies with totally different components. But this must make them similar!!!

7 train, get your info correct:
Arrow I: Built for NJDOT.
Metroliner: Prototypes built and hurried into production for the Pennsylvania Railroad. And actually these were built in 1966 delivered in 67, genius.
Just because they wore Keystones instead of Worms doesn't mean anything. So that that SD40-2 derated from an SD45-2, number 8886 with the extended fuel tank, low profile horns/fans and E-L heritage, must have been built for CSX because it says CSX on it. (Smack in the head)

by Frogger

and horses are really a lot like the space shuttle...

by nick11a

Hmm, well, I think we've covered the basics. Oh wait, I know another one! They both have four wheels.

I'm not sure if this topic has run its course or not, so I'm just gonna let it go for now.

by cpontani

I think the point that 7 Train was making was that with similar histories of very different products by different manufacturers, perhaps there is something that can be said for American manufacturing during that period.

by sixty-six

Ahahaha, I love you guys. You make me lol.

by CMC

Q: Why can't nick11a get hired by NJT?

A: He believes that Arrows have only 4 wheels.

Look again, Mr. Lucky...hahahahahahaha