• Areas on the T to Avoid due to Construction/Travel Delays

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Robert Paniagua

Crail,

I can answer your Orange Line question here:
Boston.com has this on its front page:

BREAKING NEWS: An MBTA worker was killed and another has been hospitalized after they were hit by an Orange Line train at Wellington Circle at about 7 p.m., WBZ Radio reported. --Developing

I know nothing more.
Also, more on the Orange Line Situation

AEM7AC 920 in another topic which I merged here, wrote:
I just came from Wellington and it is completely hell.... I saw the train which was completely which was completely dark, I’m guessing 3rd rail power was shut down.... Also a lot of police cars and angry people to add to the mix. My leg of the journey started at Haymarket and they announced that trains would terminate at North station due to a medical emergency and the busses would be waiting to take us to the other stops. When I got to north station there were no busses and a lot of people were upset, I found that a lot of people went to the commuter rail to get to Malden station while others completely engulfed the 1st bus that came. I was thinking of a taxi but it would of cost $30 to get to Malden so I couldn't make up my mind to catch the bus or take the commuter rail but I wanted to pass by Wellington circle so I could catch some of the action 1st hand. After I decided to catch the bus to my surprise we had some of the NABI's running shuttle bus service but the 1st bus which came off the route 7 had a driver that did not know the shuttle bus route and we ended up getting lost and having to turn around some place in Everett. We eventually got to Wellington circle and I saw a ton of MBTA Police and the works under and around the train. This has been a crazy night for me and I'm finally glad to be home but my prayers go out to the family of the person who got killed.

Here is a link to the article on the boston channel.. I'm very tired now so please excuuse my spelling errors if any but I did run the post thorugh word. I am very tired all and at least wanted to do some rail fanning online tonight so I figured I would post my story soo that is all for tonight and Goodnite all and everyone be SAFE!

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/41 ... etail.html

by trigonalmayhem

MBTA News/Events

Construction To Begin At Kenmore Square Station
Effective March 21, 2005
Start Date: 3/17/2005 End Date: 9/17/2005 E-Mail: [email protected]

The MBTA and its contractor Barletta Heavy Division will begin construction at Kenmore Station this month. The project consists of: new elevators and escalators, raised trolley platforms, expanded paid and unpaid lobby areas, new glass and steel bus canopy and a new emergency egress stairway.

On Monday, March 21st, the contractor will begin installation of a temporary bus platform at a widened sidewalk on Beacon Street in the area of the Boston University/Barnes & Noble Bookstore. Parking spaces in front of the bookstore and adjacent businesses will be removed. After the busway relocation, the contractor will begin demolition of the existing station bus shelter in early April.

Kenmore Station will remain open at all times during construction with access to the station from the new Hotel Commonwealth entrance on Commonwealth Avenue and from the kiosk entrance on the Beacon Street sidewalk. The center entrance to Kenmore Station located inside the busway will be closed for the duration of the station renovations.

The MBTA thanks you for your patience while we make these necessary improvements. For questions/comments, please call 617-222-4901.
http://www.mbta.com/insidethet/press_re ... sp?ID=1098

by efin98

Kenmore will be a pain in the neck for sure, glad the inclines aren't too much of a walk away from the station to prevent someone able-bodied from walking to them...

by trigonalmayhem

but if you're going inbound you're 3x as likely to catch a train at kenmore. That used to be reason enough for me to walk over to it, especially since service on certain branches *cough* b *cough* is sporadic at times.

by Ron Newman

After a Red Sox game lets out, it's usually worth the extra wait to catch the inbound train at Blandford or Fenway instead of Kenmore.

by efin98

trigonalmayhem wrote:but if you're going inbound you're 3x as likely to catch a train at kenmore. That used to be reason enough for me to walk over to it, especially since service on certain branches *cough* b *cough* is sporadic at times.
Guess where they are coming from? Blanford Street!. The layover trackage there is where alot of the trains awaitng the crowds stage so you are FAR MORE LIKELY to get not only a quick train but also a seat inside the train rather than dealing with the crush capacity of Kenmore Station.
  by CRail

Robert Paniagua wrote:Crail,

I can answer your Orange Line question here:
Boston.com has this on its front page:

BREAKING NEWS: An MBTA worker was killed and another has been hospitalized after they were hit by an Orange Line train at Wellington Circle at about 7 p.m., WBZ Radio reported. --Developing

I know nothing more.
It wasnt a question i was just posting the delay report. Thanks for the info though :wink:

by Ron Newman

wasn't that two months ago? Surely it didn't happen again?

by CRail

it doesnt say anywhere that it happened again, i was just writing to back to robert paniagua for what i quoted in my previous post.

No news from me today :-)

by efin98

Ron Newman wrote:wasn't that two months ago? Surely it didn't happen again?
It didn't happen again. I was on buses all day today on buses and not a peep about anything other than a delay on the Red Line just before rush hour...

by CRail

Nobody said it did efin, i just said i was responding to Mr. Paniagua now lets forget about it.

by efin98

CRail wrote:Nobody said it did efin, i just said i was responding to Mr. Paniagua now lets forget about it.
Don't foul up next time. Get your replies straight and in a timely manner and this won't happen again. No need to reply to something well after it has passed, does nothing but confuse others.

And to bring this back on topic, last night there was an electrical fire on the Longfellow Bridge that affected the Red Line. Service was annulled for the night between Kendall/MIT and Park Street but was back to normal after repairs were done overnight...
  by willfh

it was an over reaction by the tpd to a small shorted out wire on a feeder cable. the operations officials had the situation under control until tpd shut the line down.