• Are those livestock cars in Providence? (autoracks)

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

by Pete

Driving south into town on 95 I keep seeing what seem to be livestock cars on the right. Am I mistaken? And if I'm not, what are they doing there?
  by TomNelligan

Offhand I'm not sure what you're looking at -- maybe some of Amtrak's maintenance equipment? -- but there haven't been stock cars in use anywhere in New England since at least the 1960s.
  by Trainman101

I have seen recently old 50' boxcars that have the "open" look like livestock cars(they may have been livestock cars at one point). They were carrying plywood.
  by AM@BRT

Pete,
Those are automobile transport cars, known as "autoracks". They are being stored by the P & W awaiting an upturn in business.

Alan Marsh