• Are new locomotive purchases in Amtrak's future?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by DutchRailnut

unfortunatly the MP36 and NJT's PL42ac are both locomotives built to high to be of use to lots of Amtrak routes. Amtrak designed the Genesis so it would be a universal locomotive that fits anywere in its system be it in Boston , NY, Baltimore or out west. there are stiil lines in USA were a max height of 15'2" is a absolute maximum.

by Irish Chieftain

I sure think the MP-36's presently in service with METRA look "mighty awesome"
They're approaching the weight limit for B-B trucks, if I understand things correctly. Perhaps a return to the A1A-A1A trucks of the E-units would be in order? That way, heavier locos have more axles to distribute the weight and a longer wheelbase can be used in order to minimize height...

by EastCleveland

Forget the Acela/Kitchen Appliance/EuroTrash stuff. Imitated but never equaled:

www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtE200/amt4316a.jpg

by hsr_fan

Never saw that paint scheme before!

by EastCleveland

It was Amtrak's very first paint scheme, a one-shot prototype. Apparently, that E unit was the only locomotive to ever wear it.

(personally, I think it's far sharper-looking than any paint job they've come up with since)

by Irish Chieftain

According to the source site for that photo, that was an "experimental paint scheme" just to show something on press releases back on A-Day. The engine, as some may have guessed, was ex-Penn Central (their number 4616, former PRR 5716); and the black was not "original Amtrak" therefore.

by EastCleveland

Ah, yes. But before adding the "decorative touches," Amtrak could have repainted it any color. They chose instead to slap on another few fresh coats of black. In contrast, most of Amtrak's other inherited locomotives were soon slathered in a coat of silver (or, for the purists, "platinum mist").

by Irish Chieftain

Carbon black is one of the cheapest pigments you can use. Made sense to go with it at that time, I suspect.