• Are any of the Orginail MBTA Cars still Running?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by TomNelligan

The MBTA started up on August 3, 1964 (not in 1976), taking over and expanding upon the operations of the former Metropolitan Transit Authority. The only revenue service cars still running that predate 1964 are the PCCs on the Mattapan-Ashmont line. There are a few non-revenue work cars too.

by AmtrakFan

TomNelligan wrote:The MBTA started up on August 3, 1964 (not in 1976), taking over and expanding upon the operations of the former Metropolitan Transit Authority. The only revenue service cars still running that predate 1964 are the PCCs on the Mattapan-Ashmont line. There are a few non-revenue work cars too.
Thank You for your help. Sorry about the wrong date. I was thinking of Commuter Rail Service for that one.

by efin98

The last trains(other than the PCCs) that were in everyday service for the MTA were retired in 1994, those were the 1400s on the Red Line.

And there are historical FYI holdovers from that era though in the form of the PCC at Bolyston(owned by Seashore) and bus 2600 that is stored at the Everett shops...Both still have their MTA livery.

by Ron Newman

Are there any pre-1964 buses, trackless trolleys, commuter rail cars or engines, or commuter boats still running on the T?

by TomNelligan

"Are there any pre-1964 buses, trackless trolleys, commuter rail cars or engines, or commuter boats still running on the T?"

I don't know about things without wheels (when *were* the commuter boats built?), but for everything else the answer is no, except for non-revenue equipment. The rebuilt first generation Geeps (902, 904, and 1921) all predate 1964, but didn't come to Boston until much later. As I wrote earlier, there are some rapid transit work cars that predate 1964, some by quite a bit. And there are the several derelict RDCs still on the property that date to the 1950s, none of which has moved under its own power in many years.

by Robert Paniagua

The last trains(other than the PCCs) that were in everyday service for the MTA were retired in 1994, those were the 1400s on the Red Line.

There were also their sister cars (01100s) which were yanked off-line in December 1982 from the Orange Line and the Blue Line 0500 series cars which were taken down in December 1980 when the new 0600s came.

However, all these car types still have a few leftovers, for example, cars 01469/01480 and 01470/01477 are still at Cabot Central Yard being used as work cars plus 01450/01455 at Seashore being used for railfan excursions, and 01178/01179 are also there at Seashore along with 4 0500s (I don't have their exact numbers) that are there as well.

by tristanh1

Also at Ashmont are two silverbirds in origional condition at the back of the yard. They date from 1969 and can be seen fom the P.C.C. to Mattapan.

I think some of the commuter rail switchers are pretty old

by 7 Train

The oldest cars in service today are 01500/01600 Red Line Pullmans from 1969-70. The 01400s were retired in 1993-94; other than Mattapan PCCs Boeings (1976) are the oldest cars in the light rail fleet.

by efin98

David Telesha wrote:When were the New Haven 8600 series coaches retired?
1988, second only to the ex-New Haven RDCs that were retired a year later.

by efin98

This site has every piece of revenue equiptment ever owned by the MBTA and it's precessors...
  by willfh

They are not in original conditio, they have been gutted to little more then just shells. 1604, 1605 If I recall correctly

by StevieC48

Just a quick note: Seashore owns 5734 the Type 5 at Boylston St. However we DO NOT own the PCC 3295 it is owned by the MBTA. Sorry for any confusion PS The 0500's are Pullman 0512/13 0520/21 St. Louis cars 0559/62
  by Robert Paniagua

They are not in original conditio, they have been gutted to little more then just shells. 1604, 1605 If I recall correctly

You're right, they are indeed 01604/05, which were wreck casualties in August 1975, when it rammed a 01400 consist in the tunnel between Broadway and South Station. Those cars as mentioned have been "organ donors" and they are just nothing more than shells. However, I heard somewhere that these two units have already been taken away for scrap.

by MBTA1

They may have been, because they were not there yesterday when I went by on the Mattapan line