• Are all Metrorail trains driver-controlled now?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by RailBus63

I was in D.C. last week and noticed that most of the Metrorail trains appear to be driver-controlled now - is this the case? Why was this done?

For what it's worth, I rode on a few trains which were very jerky when coming to a stop - I don't know if this was related to the operator's skill, the train's brakes or some other factor. The worst was an eight-car train on the Orange Line - the stops were so rough that I was beginning to feel nauseous by the end of the ride.
  by WMATAGMOAGH

All 8 car trains are operated manually at all times due to issues with the stopping mechanisms. Otherwise, trains now operate manually during the midday period so as to give the operators practice with manual operations and to keep their skills sharp.

I believe PATCO and the DLR both have similar policies. PATCO has its operators make their first round trip (or possibly, their first non-rush hour round trip) in manual mode, and several years ago, a DLR operator or train captain or whatever they are called told me they operate manually on Sunday mornings to practice.